Look on Eddie Murray’s works, ye mighty, and despair!

Nov 17, 2011, 9:17 AM EDT

Robinson Statue

I offered my weird neurotic take on statues back in September. Short version: they creep me out because they remind me of my own mortality. Yes, I’ll take it up with my therapist at some point.  Meanwhile, in Baltimore:

A club source has confirmed the Orioles will erect bronze statues of their players enshrined in the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. – Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, Earl Weaver, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken Jr. – in an area beyond the bullpen in left-center field as part of the ballpark’s 20th anniversary celebration in 2012.

Brooks Robinson already has a statue, so it will be moved to the left-center location.  No word on if they’ll ever relax the Hall-of-Famers only rule so that I can finally find a buyer for that Tippy Martinez sculpture I made.

1. cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:22 AM

I make all of my sculptures out of mashed potatoes. That way I can look on my dinner and despair. Handy when you’re on a diet.

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Are all Beaver Wranglers as odd as you Cur?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Are all Beaver Wranglers as odd as you Cur?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:33 AM

Okay, what is with the double post? People are going to think I’m senile.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM

FACT: There is a higher power. That being has sense of humor. If ever you correct someone’s spelling or grammar on HBT, you will make the similar error on your post.
        The ogical extension is calling someone odd. You then commit an odd error. Cosmic jokester at work or what?
        So we have;
        Echolalia; the automatic repetition of sounds made by another person.

And we have:
        echopraxia, which is the automatic and involuntary repetition of movements made by another person (mimicking).

So what then, is the automatic repetition of typed phrases by an HBT poster?

• koufaxmitzvah - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM

Echotyporrhea

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

It should be noted that I didn’t post the same thing twice…it just kind of appeared magically.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:00 AM

See? Cosmic jokester.

2. fellspointbird - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:27 AM

Great Ozymandius, more statues at Camden Yards? Why do they all have to be in the bullpen area, and weren’t they talking about putting a restaurant there some time ago?

Btw, it’s rather ironic that you mention mortality as a subject you fear concerning both that specific poem, and Percy Byshe Shelly in general (1792-1822 I believe). Certainly not lost on me.

3. randomdigits - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Considering that the team didn’t have much of anything to do with the Brooks statue unveiled recently my guess is that Brooks is going to have two.

• Panda Claus - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:50 AM

That’s exactly the case. The independent effort by the group that erected Brooks’ recent statue was basically ignored by the team, all the while they had apparently been planning their own statue garden.

4. Detroit Michael - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:55 AM

It should become a tradition that umpires get to kick dirt onto the Earl Weaver statue when they first arrive at the ballpark just to remember their long-time nemesis. It’ll take them a while to get even. ;)

5. pkers - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:10 AM

We named our dog after Tippy Martinez.

6. Gamera the Brave - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:13 AM

In keeping with the Shelley references, should not the statue just be of Eddie Murray’s feet? That would be damned funny…

7. Gamera the Brave - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM

Sorry, now that have re-read the poem (which I should have done about 5 minutes ago…), the statue should contain his feet, legs – and Eddie Murray’s head on the ground nearby.
    An even better mental picture.
    Hope Eddie doesn’t read this…

• JBerardi - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:18 AM

“and Eddie Murray’s head on the ground nearby.”

Well, maybe they could do that with Ted Williams…

• randomdigits - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Gamera the “Brave” eh?

I think you are safe.

8. JBerardi - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Hey, no fair, I ALREADY made an Ozymandius reference today:

9. weaselpuppy - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:38 AM

I thought they had started this past year with the Mark Reynolds statue at 3b….

• stlouis1baseball - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hahaha! Outstanding Weasel. Well done.

10. djjeffhall - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

I want a Wild Bill Hagy statue.

11. foreverchipper10 - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:10 PM

I should really head on down to Camden one day.

12. bigtrainrr - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:48 PM

I find it odd that the O’s are putting up statues to people the current owners have basically shunned. Brooks, Frank, Earl, Eddie and Cal have felt unwanted and not welcome to be a part of the Orioles community because of Peter Angelos and company. Palmer, BTW, is a Orioles broadcaster for MASN.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS