Nov 17, 2011, 9:17 AM EDT
I offered my weird neurotic take on statues back in September. Short version: they creep me out because they remind me of my own mortality. Yes, I’ll take it up with my therapist at some point. Meanwhile, in Baltimore:
A club source has confirmed the Orioles will erect bronze statues of their players enshrined in the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y. – Brooks Robinson, Frank Robinson, Jim Palmer, Earl Weaver, Eddie Murray and Cal Ripken Jr. – in an area beyond the bullpen in left-center field as part of the ballpark’s 20th anniversary celebration in 2012.
Brooks Robinson already has a statue, so it will be moved to the left-center location. No word on if they’ll ever relax the Hall-of-Famers only rule so that I can finally find a buyer for that Tippy Martinez sculpture I made.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (157)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)