Mystery Team Alert: Albert Pujols edition

Nov 17, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT

pujols smile getty Getty Images

We know the Marlins have made an offer to Albert Pujols.  And we know that the Cardinals, obviously, are continuing to talk to him.  Both Tim Brown of Yahoo! and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch say, however, that at least three teams are “actively jockeying” for El Hombre.

No one knows the third team, however, so it’s … the Mystery Team.

Just want to go on record how mad I still am over the fact that Heyman ended up being right about the Mystery Team being interested in Cliff Lee last year.  Was way more fun when the Mystery Team didn’t exist outside of agents’ weird leverage-creation scenarios. But now we know they do. And it can be anyone.  And now they’re talking to Albert Pujols.

Hard to say who it could be. The Rangers and Dodgers have said they’re out. Maybe the Orioles have delusions of grandeur. Maybe the Cubs are going to get in on that.  Hard to say.  It all probably doesn’t matter. There have been reports — shot down by others, but reports all the same — that the Cardinals and Pujols are close to a deal and it will be announced tomorrow.

But that’s what we all thought about Cliff Lee too. Before we were overtaken by mystery.

1. anotheryx - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:59 AM

Heyman actually called it yesterday:

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Well, he’s still blocking me, so I missed it. Damn.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM

You an Heyman need to hug this out…

• natstowngreg - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Considering how much attention Heyman gets on this blog, one would think he wouldn’t be hatin’ on you. But, not knowing him personally, maybe he’s just the hatin’ kind.

• CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:09 PM

Most of the attention Heyman gets on here isn’t exactly the type of attention most people would consider to be positive though.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM

He’s blocking you? What a classy fellow.

2. hep3 - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:01 AM

That team from Mystery should have a heck of a line up with a great rotation. Is Boras the GM for that club? I love it when they play their archrivals in Denial.

3. sdelmonte - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:02 AM

It’s the Yankees. Cashman met with Pujols’ agent. Probably just for lolz, and to drive the price up for the teams that are serious.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:12 AM

Wonder how Tex likes being DH?

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM

given his poor production over the last 3 yrs they may be better off flat out releasing him and let some other sucker of a team have him.

• bigharold - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Between 1B, 3B and DH there will me more than enough playing time for A-Rod, Teixeira, and Pujols.

9yr @ 27.5 per.

• deathmonkey41 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:38 AM

@phukyouk- if the Yankees are paying him to strike out trying to pull a ball that’s a foot and a half off the plate over the right field wall in Yankees Stadium, then his production has actually gone way up. It’s a glass half full type of thing.

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:36 PM

sigh… /Sarcasm

• Kevin S. - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM

People still think Pujols is going to come to the Yankees to be a utility player? You guys do know he can’t throw regularly anymore, right?

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I love this part of the hot stove season. LOVE IT.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Reminds me of Pentangli’s testimony before Congress.
      The Yankees did this, the Yankees done that and I said “Sure”

5. b7p19 - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:15 AM

It’s the Padres. Welcome to San Diego Albert!

6. dclogicatlast - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

My sources have confirmed that the Phillies are again the mystery team. They have offered Pujols 10 years @ $30 to “play” 3rd base. They have also offered the “Prince” the same deal to play left field.

• skane2005 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Ha, that would be my guess too. Why not.

7. granted42 - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:16 AM

I’m guessing the mystery team is the Yomiuri Giants.

8. CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:20 AM

A mystery source told me that the mystery team this offseason is the same mystery team from last season. But I’d get blasted on here if I revealed the mystery team’s true identity, so I’ll let it remain a mystery.

9. 78mu - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:24 AM

I doubt anyone really thought Pujols would only have the Marlins and Cardinals after him. There are 30 MLB teams and he’s Albert Freaking Pujols.

• salvomania - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Not too surprising, really:

Thick-bodied slugger entering age-32 season with declining OPS+ in each of last three years… wants a 7- or 8- (or 9)-year deal for north of $20M a year.

Any team would have to think real hard about taking that on…

• thefalcon123 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Though, in all fairness, the thick bodied slugger in question is arguably the best right handed hitter in the game’s history and he OPS+ declined all the way to a level that can be described as merely “exceptional”…50% better than league average.

• salvomania - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

…and I say that as a huge Cardinals/Albert Pujols fan.

I wouldn’t mind if the Cardinals re-signed him, because it’s not my money, and he could still be a great player for another three years or so. But from age 35 on, that’s a lot of payroll tied up in a player who will probably not be in the top half in the league at his position.

I won’t be upset if he signs elsewhere, because the Birds will have some payroll flexibility and a 3-4-5-6 of Craig/Berkman/Holliday/Freese that should still produce plenty of runs for an Adam Wainwright-led pitching staff.

10. illcomm - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:37 AM

The mystery team will be the Phils. 27.5 over 8.

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:06 AM

You know illcomm, for a guy who doen’t know that St. Louis is in Missouri, you may have forfeited your right to make comments. One more gaff and you are out of here. So, you had better be right about the Phills thing, or you are gone, right Craig?

11. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Keep up the wishing Crag. With luck and your insistence, we may get him to the AL after all.

12. wendell7 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM

it’s the Cubs. Theo is looking to make a big splash. it’s the Cubs

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:07 AM

No, he is still in the division then.

• blueintown - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:52 PM

It’s not. Theo is not looking to make a splash. Unless your world is totally rocked by Dale Sveum.

• wendell7 - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM

it’s the Cubs

13. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:09 AM

OK listen up all of your geniuses. I have a WILD guess here, but it could be done. It is HOUSTON, who is rebuilding and has lots of money. Then they can move into the AL in a couple of years and gone from the NL. Is that too wishful?

• CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:16 AM

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:24 AM

Oh come on now, at least say it may be possible? Don’t bust my bubble just yet.

• CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I would say that there’s a five-way, dead heat for who would be the least likely to win the Albert Pujols among the following: LA, Pittsburgh, Houston, San Diego, and Kalamazoo.

And frankly, Kalamazoo has a better chance than any of them.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM

Yeah, but Houston has that prospect I was really angry about the Cardinals trading for Matt Holliday at first base. Which, thankfully, was very unjustified anger.

Fear not, Wallace hit .211/.290/.302 from May 4th until the end of the season. Like a drunk who’s just been thrown out of the last bar in town that will serve him, it’s only up from here!

14. illcomm - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I have little to know respect for Craig. He made a lowball reference to my mother who pasted away. He is a coward and pathetic person for attacking and making “your mom insults”. If I hadn’t seen his Moby like looking picture of himself,, I would have thought he was a midschooler. And yes, I had the wrong state. And yes Craig did apologize, but that didn’t take away the fact of him showing his preadolencence maturity.

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM

“I have little to know respect for Craig. He made a lowball reference to my mother who pasted away”

ummmmmm…… no, passed

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM

OK Ok, lets have a little respect for the deed. No more jokes about mamma

• CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Taht wsan’t a ur mamam johke. Taht wuz uh johke abut ewer spulling

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:43 PM

Dude… you’re fucking with us, right? I bet that this is Drew trolling on a Craig blog…

And for the record I have no intentions of insulting your house or Property

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:46 PM

CJ – Sadly i understood your much much better

• CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM

ah, I didn’t realize that was phil chiming in, I thought it was the original guy.

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM

shit… me too..

• Ben - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:37 AM

I’m sorry to hear about your mother’s tragic glue accident.

• spudchukar - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Major Kudos Ben.

• paperlions - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:44 AM

no, not know.

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM

I KNOW!

• CJ - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Well let me be the first to sincerely say that I’m sorry for your mother. I must admit that “pasting away” sounds like a very painful and difficult way to go.

Other than that, I didn’t understand anything you said.

15. proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:14 PM

It is no mystery that it is not the Blue Jays.

• Kevin S. - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:30 PM

My thoughts exactly. They’re going to land one of the Big Two. I’m somewhat terrified, actually.

16. fummer34 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:29 PM

It would make jaws drop if it was the jays. Would. Fit great at 1st base move Lind to DH and they become the top team in the AL if they find a closer

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:37 PM

And, he would have as a teammate, the guy who he dislikes probably more than anyone, RASMUS!

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:56 PM

top team? you serious? you think that that a closer and He would make up a 16 game difference to be the TOP team in the AL? i can only assume you meant a contending team, which i would agree with, but most certainly not the TOP team in the AL

17. 1historian - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:49 PM

He’s Albert freaking Pujols – that is true.

He’s Thirty freaking one years old – that is also true.

IMO – He’ll never get better. He has done some amazing things, including that 3 hr game in the Series, but his best days are behind him.

• phukyouk - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Better, no way.. worse… not much over the next 4-5 year. I would say that for 5 out of the next 9 years he is the same exact Pujols, after that he will start a small decline but will never be bad, just Avg

18. Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:38 PM

If it’s the Phillies again I’ll poop my pants. That’s right. Poop. My. Pants.

• Alex K - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:31 PM

At least it’s not a woody this time….

19. brucewaynewins - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:47 PM

You can rule out the Reds and Brewers too. If the Brewers can’t afford Prince Fielder they can’t afford Pujols. The Reds already have Votto and Yonder Alonso. I can’t imagine a universe in which they’d spend that much money on the two best 1B in baseball and have the top hitting 1B prospect in baseball all at the same time. Unless of course the Brewers hit Brewster’s Millions or in the Reds case they also hit those Millions and baseball moves 3B over to 1B making 2 1B and no 3B. AKA not happening.

20. brucewaynewins - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:50 PM

I hope the mystery team is the Astros so he’ll be out of the NL Central in 2013. Ha.

21. brucewaynewins - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:52 PM

To be honest though as a fan of the Reds its a double edged sword if they he signs with the Cardinals or not. If he does they likely won’t have much cash for several between Pujols, Holiday, Carpenter, and several other contracts. If they do let him go its highly unlikely they’ll replace him with someone of quality. Either way I’m sure the Cardinals will be just fine. They know what they’re doing.

22. foreverchipper10 - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:32 PM

I hope it is Walt Jocketty doing the jockeying because….well, damn it, that is fun to say!

23. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:22 PM

OK:
    Lets all stop NOW! It is almost Friday, and the BIG announcement is around the corner. Lets see who is going to sign him,, or not. I wish I was in Vegas, so I could bet on it. Surely we can all wait for 18 hours or so to find out.

24. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Oh yes, I almost forgot. That will give illcomm time to study his dictionary, for a better post!

25. cintiphil - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:50 AM

OK, maybe Heyman was correct. They may have other teams willing to make an offer. Who ever said the Cards would make an announcement today, had it wrong. One would think an A.M. press release would be forthcoming.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2790)