Nov 17, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
We know the Marlins have made an offer to Albert Pujols. And we know that the Cardinals, obviously, are continuing to talk to him. Both Tim Brown of Yahoo! and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch say, however, that at least three teams are “actively jockeying” for El Hombre.
No one knows the third team, however, so it’s … the Mystery Team.
Just want to go on record how mad I still am over the fact that Heyman ended up being right about the Mystery Team being interested in Cliff Lee last year. Was way more fun when the Mystery Team didn’t exist outside of agents’ weird leverage-creation scenarios. But now we know they do. And it can be anyone. And now they’re talking to Albert Pujols.
Hard to say who it could be. The Rangers and Dodgers have said they’re out. Maybe the Orioles have delusions of grandeur. Maybe the Cubs are going to get in on that. Hard to say. It all probably doesn’t matter. There have been reports — shot down by others, but reports all the same — that the Cardinals and Pujols are close to a deal and it will be announced tomorrow.
But that’s what we all thought about Cliff Lee too. Before we were overtaken by mystery.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)