Nov 17, 2011, 9:46 AM EDT
We know the Marlins have made an offer to Albert Pujols. And we know that the Cardinals, obviously, are continuing to talk to him. Both Tim Brown of Yahoo! and Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch say, however, that at least three teams are “actively jockeying” for El Hombre.
No one knows the third team, however, so it’s … the Mystery Team.
Just want to go on record how mad I still am over the fact that Heyman ended up being right about the Mystery Team being interested in Cliff Lee last year. Was way more fun when the Mystery Team didn’t exist outside of agents’ weird leverage-creation scenarios. But now we know they do. And it can be anyone. And now they’re talking to Albert Pujols.
Hard to say who it could be. The Rangers and Dodgers have said they’re out. Maybe the Orioles have delusions of grandeur. Maybe the Cubs are going to get in on that. Hard to say. It all probably doesn’t matter. There have been reports — shot down by others, but reports all the same — that the Cardinals and Pujols are close to a deal and it will be announced tomorrow.
But that’s what we all thought about Cliff Lee too. Before we were overtaken by mystery.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)