Nov 17, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
Remember last year when Bobby Valentine was rumored to be in the running for every single managerial job there was? Yeah, that was fun. Well buckle up, because here we go again.
Ken Rosenthal reports – confirmed by Gordon Edes — that Red Sox ownership has reached out to Bobby V. and that the interest is mutual. Rosenthal says that there has been a meeting between Valentine and one Red Sox owner and that he will meet with others soon. Pair this up with this morning’s report that the Sox want someone with a lot of major league managing experience, and everything is explained.
I can think of worse fits for Bobby Valentine. He’s a big personality and you probably have to be to wade into what’s going on in Boston these days. He’s managed clubs with a lot of veterans on it. He’s interesting, so when he inevitably leaves he’s the kind of guy we’re likely to hear all kinds of good leaked stories about.
It’s actually pretty perfect.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)