Nov 17, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT
Remember last year when Bobby Valentine was rumored to be in the running for every single managerial job there was? Yeah, that was fun. Well buckle up, because here we go again.
Ken Rosenthal reports – confirmed by Gordon Edes — that Red Sox ownership has reached out to Bobby V. and that the interest is mutual. Rosenthal says that there has been a meeting between Valentine and one Red Sox owner and that he will meet with others soon. Pair this up with this morning’s report that the Sox want someone with a lot of major league managing experience, and everything is explained.
I can think of worse fits for Bobby Valentine. He’s a big personality and you probably have to be to wade into what’s going on in Boston these days. He’s managed clubs with a lot of veterans on it. He’s interesting, so when he inevitably leaves he’s the kind of guy we’re likely to hear all kinds of good leaked stories about.
It’s actually pretty perfect.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 60
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 48
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 113
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)