Red Sox owners have met with Bobby Valentine

Nov 17, 2011, 3:41 PM EDT

valentine in suit

Remember last year when Bobby Valentine was rumored to be in the running for every single managerial job there was?  Yeah, that was fun.  Well buckle up, because here we go again.

Ken Rosenthal reports – confirmed by Gordon Edes — that Red Sox ownership has reached out to Bobby V. and that the interest is mutual.  Rosenthal says that there has been a meeting between Valentine and one Red Sox owner and that he will meet with others soon. Pair this up with this morning’s report that the Sox want someone with a lot of major league managing experience, and everything is explained.

I can think of worse fits for Bobby Valentine.  He’s a big personality and you probably have to be to wade into what’s going on in Boston these days. He’s managed clubs with a lot of veterans on it. He’s interesting, so when he inevitably leaves he’s the kind of guy we’re likely to hear all kinds of good leaked stories about.

It’s actually pretty perfect.

1. bloodysock - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:47 PM

Nooooooooooooooooo.

• poprox13 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Hell Nooooooooooo

2. wendell7 - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:52 PM

They shoulda hired Dale Sveum before the Cubs scooped him up

• paperlions - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM

This is on the top 10 lists of thing I never thought I would see written.

• bozosforall - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:10 PM

They never had a chance against Theo.

LMAO

Cubs WIN, Red Sux LOSE

• tekton8 - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:47 PM

… um, cubs never win, dude. Where have you been?

3. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Can’t wait, instead of listening to him verbally fellate Dustin Pedroia on espn, Sox fans and every one else can just watch him do it…

4. uyf1950 - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM

If the Red Sox hire Bobby V. they get 2 managers in 1. Bobby V and the Bobby V in disguise.
    Check out this link to a Mets game June 9, 1999

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:07 PM

This is exactly why he should still be in baseball. Yes, he is a throwback, and it is great. This is the kind of stunt Leo the Lip or Ed Stanky would have pulled. I loved it then and now. Bring him back and get him off of ESPN. I wish I had him on my team. There may be some hope after all for the Bosox.

• uyf1950 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM

You forgot Bill Veek when he had all 3’7″ of Eddie Gaedel put in a game in 1951.

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Yes, I did forget. Wasn’t that kind of baseball great? Now it is too cookie cutter, too many rules type of game. No glory in it any longer.

• aceshigh11 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM

I thought this story was a joke when I first heard about it, but sure enough…it’s true.

Hilarious!

5. pastabelly - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:57 PM

He’s a douche. Alomar would be a more popular choice and a better choice.

• amaninwhite - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:38 PM

There are too many veteran egos on the Sox. I believe that the inexperienced Alomar would not be the ideal choice, and that a more established presence, such as Valentine, is probably needed.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Sandy Alomar grew up with Robbie Alomar. He’s got tonnes of big veteran ego experience.

6. eanxdivr - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:10 PM

Why do you suppose that Bobby Valentine has interviewed with several teams in the past, but has never gotten the job? Think about it…Maybe he was a fine manager in the J-League, but no Major League team wants him. He has had some success in the distant past, but he does not impress me, and he didn’t impress many other teams. Please do not hire Bobby Valentine!!!!

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Oh Boo on you. He is great for the game, and needed now in Boston. Lets get him back somewhere. Lets all get back to play the game.

7. stlouis1baseball - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Hahaha! Yeah…I bet they have met with Bobby V.

8. Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:12 PM

The Teeth will get much exposure in Boston. The teeth approve….

9. b7p19 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:17 PM

There is nothing wrong with Bobby V. The guy knows baseball and he’s been doing it a long time. A manager is basically just a glorified PR guy/babysitter anyway, so no big deal. Don’t judge Bobby V the manager by what you saw from Bobby V the TV analyst.

People often show a different side of themselves when they are faced with opening up to the world.

• b7p19 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Case in point: John Madden was a great football coach and kind of a buffoon on TV. I promise you Madden wasn’t circling turduckens, yelling boom all the time, and showing fat guys running when he was in team meetings.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:51 AM

I loved when Madden used to talk about running right up the “A-hole”. LMAO

10. aceshigh11 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:23 PM

“Bobby V.” makes him sound like a two-bit capo in a ’90s-era Scorsese film, like Jimmy Two-Times.

“I’m gonna go fill out the lineup card…fill out the lineup card.”

• havlicekstoletheball - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:33 AM

Hah! That’s the comment of the month so far. I wonder if he will do the head twitch, too.

So if Pedroia singles, does Bobby V tell him “I want youse should steal second base, but don’ get caught. If youse gets nailed, I dunno nuthin’ about it, capisce?”

11. psousa1 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:29 PM

You confirmed it with Gordon Edes? So a writer confirms it with another writer?

12. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM

He hasn’t been offered a job in his last bajillion interviews; I’m not thinking he gets one now, either. This is certain due diligence.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:47 PM

I’m thinking Bobby himself must have thumbs-downed this.

13. proudlycanadian - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:41 PM

The circus in Boston has became quite funny. They are almost making the Orioles look good.

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:44 PM

I think they still can kick the Jay’s butts all over the place.

• JBerardi - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:26 PM

Yeah. Why can’t the Red Sox get a GM like Dan Duquette?

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:57 PM

Because the don’t want him!

14. deathmonkey41 - Nov 17, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Come on Red Sox! Just suck it up and bring Grady Little back! Best manager they ever had!

• skeleteeth - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Why would you want the Yankees to lose to the Marlins again in the World Series? The Marlins.

15. ohleee - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM

Why not interview Ryne Sandberg? Of course, he might not be interested given the recent Fenway Follies, but has anybody even asked?

• ohleee - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM

Lotsa people hatin’ on Ryno. Howcum?

16. randygnyc - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM

I’m no Bobby V fan, but the reason he has taken a job yet is because he hasn’t been willing to take a token managers job. Think control. Think buck showlater. Bobby wants BASEBALL OPERATIONS.

17. bozosforall - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:12 PM

Like I said before..Boston is a joke.

• JBerardi - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM

Seven titles. Deal with it.

• skeleteeth - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Whoa. Hey. Heeeeeey. What are you doing? Are you sure you’re not a Yankee fan?

18. patsfan1951 - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM

Why don’t they offer the job to David Ortiz? At least then he won’t have to ‘walk’ the bases anymore!

19. vanmorrissey - Nov 17, 2011 at 6:43 PM

It would be a great fit for ESPN also since the Sox are on all the time and he could do his act during the 5th inning interview with Schulman.

20. bbk1000 - Nov 17, 2011 at 7:32 PM

Valentine, he’s got his good and bad, but he did get an average Mets team to the series.

The current Red Sox and Yankees fans will forever look to Francona and Torre as saviors, but both these guys were bad managers on bad teams before they became great managers on teams loaded with talent.

Just an opinion but the Red Sox should hire Wally Backman….

21. dmarzo1 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:41 PM

It certainly seems like Cherington is a puppet and Larry L is the puppet master.

• bobwsc - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:10 AM

spot on

22. Chris St. John - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:59 AM

I heard the owners started out the meeting saying:

“Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine!”

…awkward

23. skeleteeth - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:51 PM

I think this year maybe the Sox need a higher profile guy take some of the heat off the rest of the team and Valentine could be just the guy to do it. I also like what he had to say about Dice-K and how he has been treated and acted in Boston.

My biggest concern this off-season given the happenings with Papelbon and Philly is that these guys don’t go and do something stupid like sign Heath “Petco Park” Bell or Matt Capps to big contracts. Make Bard a closer already and get another starter, plain and simple.

24. hgrubsttipkcuf - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM

how fitting…the wackest manager in baseball managing the wackest team.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5576)