Phillies re-sign backup catcher Brian Schneider

Nov 17, 2011, 11:40 AM EDT

schneider phillies Getty Images

UPDATE: It’s a done deal. Heyman reports that Schneider will make $800,000 next season with the chance at an additional $200,000 with incentives. He doesn’t specify, but we can assume this is strictly a one-year deal.

11:40 AM: Jon Heyman of SI.com reports that the Phillies have re-signed catcher Brian Schneider, pending a physical.

We learned yesterday that the two sides were close to an agreement. No word on the exact contract terms, but Schneider earned $1.50 million in 2011 in the final year of a two-year, $2.75 million contract.

Schneider, who turns 35 later this month, batted .176/.246/.256 with two homers, nine RBI and a .502 OPS over 139 plate appearances this season while throwing out a career-low 13 percent (3-for-23) of would-be basestealers. He’ll serve as Carlos Ruiz‘s seldom-used backup again in 2012.

1. Ari Collins - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:45 AM

And speaking of catchers, the Tigers are close on Gerald Laird.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:48 AM

Okay, I was kind of railing against this yesterday but I did a bit of research. Although, I haven’t completely come around and still think he sucks, I will be okay with this. Apparently he works with the young pitchers quite a bit helping them develop secondary pitches….not only Worley but also Herndon, Stutes, and Kendrick. So, there seems to be some value there outside his terrible performance. Also, will people please stopping using his wins/losses last year to justify the signing. It is just ridiculous.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 17, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Don’t they call those guys BULLPEN coaches?

3. Charles Gates - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:49 AM

$5 this turns into a Phillies thread.

4. boston25rocketman - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:51 AM

By no means a Phillies fan but wow, those numbers scream uninspiring. Ruiz ever goes down and they are screwed! If he’s good with the youngsters than offer him a coaching spot, I wouldn’t want to roster him though.

5. chaseutley - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

Championship.

6. Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I was tough on a possible B.S. signing yesterday, but there aren’t a whole lot of options out there for catchers. I’d still probably rather see younger guys brought up that will surely play to his level. He gives away bases at a crazy level and that kills me, that’s a big problem.

• uyf1950 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:00 PM

My understanding is, is that Lee specially requested that the Phillies re-sign this guy. For what it’s worth that’s what I read the other day.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:35 PM

I read that too. But Lee comes off as the type of good guy who will try to help someone he likes.

• cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 2:03 PM

Who does Lee think he is Carlton?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, the giving away bases is what bothers me the most. I think he will swing the bat better this year. His BABIP was staggeringly low last season…something like .225.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:44 PM

His BABIP will stay below average imo Dr.. He seems to be below average for BABIP year after year. I’m also scared by his elevated SO rate last season. 25% is very high for him.

• paperlions - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Yeah, if you are slow and hit a lot of FBs, your BABIP will usually be below average. Hitter BABIP is a skill, to some degree…faster guys, guys that hit fewer FBs, more GBs, and more LDs will generally have higher BABIPs….pitcher BABIP isn’t a skill that can be replicated and is largely a function of chance.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:23 PM

Yeah PL, I like to look at the actual players average BABIP when it comes to batting, since League average is less accurate since some players hoover either below or above Leauge average for BABIP. B.S. had 2 years while he was young where he was well above for BABIP, but has hoovered below for some time now. If he rebounds in that area it will still be to below League average imo.

7. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Deal is for 800,000 with the chance for him to make 1 million.

8. ame123 - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:44 PM

Schneid or get off the pot.

9. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 2:05 PM

Hey look. The redbirds gave up on Laird. Who do they have to back up Molina? Maybe the Phills have a guy in the minor leagues who may be a year or two away. This may just be to buy them time.

Three legends off to Cooperstown