Nov 17, 2011, 12:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that the Tigers and Laird have agreed to a one-year deal, pending a physical.
12:30 PM: It’s backup catcher day here on Hardball Talk. Thanks for joining us.
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com hears that the Tigers are “on the verge” of bringing back veteran backstop Gerald Laird. They were considering Kelly Shoppach in recent days, but Laird has emerged as their top choice.
Laird, who turned 32 on Sunday, batted .232/.302/.358 with one home run, 12 RBI and a .660 OPS over 108 plate appearances this season serving as Yadier Molina‘s backup catcher in St. Louis. He also gunned down 20 percent (4-for-20) of attempted basestealers.
Laird played with the Tigers in 2009 and 2010 before signing with the Cardinals last offseason. Alex Avila led American League catchers with 130 starts this season and Victor Martinez is locked in as the primary designated hitter and third catcher moving forward, so the Tigers need a more reliable alternative than Omir Santos.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)