Nov 17, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT
The Mets are bringing in the fences and bringing back Banner Day and some vintage uniforms, so it’s only appropriate that Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that they are also considering a reunion with fan favorite Endy Chavez.
Chavez is remembered fondly for his time with the Mets, including an iconic leaping catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals, but this wouldn’t just be some novelty act.
The 33-year-old outfielder batted .301/.323/.426 with five home runs, 27 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .749 OPS over 274 plate appearances with the Rangers this season. He is still regarded as an above-average defender, so he would make plenty of sense as a fourth outfielder.
This may very well happen, but it doesn’t sound like an agreement is imminent, as Martino notes that the Mets have only had informal and preliminary talks with Chavez’s agent Peter Greenberg. By the way, Greenberg is also the agent for Jose Reyes. Sore subject, I know.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (102)