Nov 17, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT
The Mets are bringing in the fences and bringing back Banner Day and some vintage uniforms, so it’s only appropriate that Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that they are also considering a reunion with fan favorite Endy Chavez.
Chavez is remembered fondly for his time with the Mets, including an iconic leaping catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals, but this wouldn’t just be some novelty act.
The 33-year-old outfielder batted .301/.323/.426 with five home runs, 27 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .749 OPS over 274 plate appearances with the Rangers this season. He is still regarded as an above-average defender, so he would make plenty of sense as a fourth outfielder.
This may very well happen, but it doesn’t sound like an agreement is imminent, as Martino notes that the Mets have only had informal and preliminary talks with Chavez’s agent Peter Greenberg. By the way, Greenberg is also the agent for Jose Reyes. Sore subject, I know.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)