The Mets are considering a reunion with Endy Chavez

Nov 17, 2011, 10:19 AM EDT

Endy Chavez catch

The Mets are bringing in the fences and bringing back Banner Day and some vintage uniforms, so it’s only appropriate that Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that they are also considering a reunion with fan favorite Endy Chavez.

Chavez is remembered fondly for his time with the Mets, including an iconic leaping catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals, but this wouldn’t just be some novelty act.

The 33-year-old outfielder batted .301/.323/.426 with five home runs, 27 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .749 OPS over 274 plate appearances with the Rangers this season. He is still regarded as an above-average defender, so he would make plenty of sense as a fourth outfielder.

This may very well happen, but it doesn’t sound like an agreement is imminent, as Martino notes that the Mets have only had informal and preliminary talks with Chavez’s agent Peter Greenberg. By the way, Greenberg is also the agent for Jose Reyes. Sore subject, I know.

1. lewp - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:36 AM

We Rangers sure could have used some outfield defense in Game 6….(sigh)

2. Old Gator - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I love reunions. You see people you haven’t seen in years, usually for good reasons; you practice your frozen smile and calculated politeness; you eat powdered egg breakfasts, wilted salads for lunch and dried out chicken breasts rolled around sage stuffing that’s still a little cold in the middle for dinner, then go to the bar, drink like a feesh, and head home on Sunday nursing a hangover and having completely forgotten everything that happened.

• b7p19 - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM

You were there too? Wow, small world.

• cur68 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:11 AM

But you have the satisfaction of seeing that all the cool people have gotten fatter, randomly balder and are less well off than you. I didn’t realize how shallow I was till I left feeling all smug about being well off, in good shape and possessed of a full head of hair. That made up for spending time with people I really didn’t want to see again.

• Charles Gates - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:12 PM

I had my 10 year HS reunion about a year ago. The DJ was playing songs from the 90s. Every conversation was started by the Cliffs Notes of your LinkedIn profile followed some medley of location/marital status/# of kids. It was easy to see who left they best years of their lives in that locker lined, clique ridden, hormone driven hell hole.

So yea, I went. I hated it. But I got to show off my beautiful wife and internally prop myself up on the social pedestal that everyone else had fallen from.

3. Kyle - Nov 17, 2011 at 1:01 PM

What an amazing catch and photo.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3640)