Nov 17, 2011, 10:19 AM EST
The Mets are bringing in the fences and bringing back Banner Day and some vintage uniforms, so it’s only appropriate that Andy Martino of the New York Daily News hears that they are also considering a reunion with fan favorite Endy Chavez.
Chavez is remembered fondly for his time with the Mets, including an iconic leaping catch in Game 7 of the 2006 NLCS against the Cardinals, but this wouldn’t just be some novelty act.
The 33-year-old outfielder batted .301/.323/.426 with five home runs, 27 RBI, 10 stolen bases and a .749 OPS over 274 plate appearances with the Rangers this season. He is still regarded as an above-average defender, so he would make plenty of sense as a fourth outfielder.
This may very well happen, but it doesn’t sound like an agreement is imminent, as Martino notes that the Mets have only had informal and preliminary talks with Chavez’s agent Peter Greenberg. By the way, Greenberg is also the agent for Jose Reyes. Sore subject, I know.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)