Nov 17, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT
The Mets are celebrating their 50th anniversary season in 2012. Once you ignore the fact that it’s actually their 51st season you’ll actually enjoy it, I’m sure.
Anyway, in honor of the occasion, the Mets have done something that a ton of Mets fans — and many non-Mets fans, myself included — have wanted them to do for years: taken the black out of their uniforms. At least out of their white, pinstriped and road gray uniforms, all of which will look like this now:
Pretty spiffy. Note the lack of the black outlines around the letters. Note that the undershirts and caps are the proper blue. Damn that team looks sharp when it sticks with its main colors and doesn’t mess around, doesn’t it?
Now to be clear: they’ll still rock the black jersey as a road alternate, but according Paul Lukas, that’ll be phased out by 2013 and then it will just be the nice classic look and that solid white which, while not exactly classic, looks just fine.
Good move Mets.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)