The Mets have new (old) uniforms

Nov 17, 2011, 8:52 AM EDT

The Mets are celebrating their 50th anniversary season in 2012. Once you ignore the fact that it’s actually their 51st season you’ll actually enjoy it, I’m sure.

Anyway, in honor of the occasion, the Mets have done something that a ton of Mets fans — and many non-Mets fans, myself included — have wanted them to do for years: taken the black out of their uniforms.  At least out of their white, pinstriped and road gray uniforms, all of which will look like this now:

source:

Pretty spiffy.  Note the lack of the black outlines around the letters. Note that the undershirts and caps are the proper blue.  Damn that team looks sharp when it sticks with its main colors and doesn’t mess around, doesn’t it?

Now to be clear: they’ll still rock the black jersey as a road alternate, but according Paul Lukas, that’ll be phased out by 2013 and then it will just be the nice classic look and that solid white which, while not exactly classic, looks just fine.

Good move Mets.

1. thomastskh - Nov 17, 2011 at 8:58 AM

I am much happier about this than I have any right to be. I love the Mets’ uniforms, when they’re done right.

2. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Hey, hey, hey. The Mets look like a big league club in their new uniforms. That is a good start. Now if they could just play like a big league team …

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Hey, hey, hey playing like that is a time honored Mets tradition! Ask the ’62 Mets.

3. JBerardi - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Man, wouldn’t these be so much better if instead of just using orange and blue, they also threw in some random yellow shit for no reason? And why use a classic font like that when you could use a pointy M ripped straight off the billboards for a third rate indian casino?

4. sdelmonte - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:09 AM

They’ll also bringing back Banner Day, which fans have been pushing for since it ended in 1996. Should be very interesting, especially if the team doesn’t censor the inevitable anti-Wilpon banners.

Now if only the Mets don’t celebrate 1962 with a re-enactment. I really don’t want to see 40-120.

• brohancruyff - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:34 AM

Honestly, I don’t think they will. One way or the other (i.e. with or without Reyes), they’re not going to be *that* bad. They certainly won’t be good, but they won’t be historically bad.

But then I still think they’ll re-sign Reyes, so maybe I’m just delusional.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:48 AM

I really don’t want to see 40-120

The odds of that happening are fairly low, since rain-outs are usually made up in a timely fashion. You might see 42-120 or 40-122…

• JBerardi - Nov 17, 2011 at 10:30 AM

“I really don’t want to see 40-120.”

Why not? The team isn’t going anywhere next year. And if they’re going to lose, they might as well REALLY lose and lock up that first overall pick.

5. kopy - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:19 AM

I didn’t care for the black much until I learned the reasoning behind it. A uniform designer put the black shadow on the “Mets” script and numbers on their uniforms to pay homage to all of NYC’s skyscrapers. As he said, when he was a kid visiting, the one thing he remembered about NYC was there were always shadows on one side of the street because the buildings were so tall.

I thought that was a nice little touch on the uniforms after hearing the logic, and kinda liked it after that, but I won’t be sad to see it go. I guess my hat is outdated now though: http://www.goallout.com/proshop/NE_images/large/10162526.jpg

6. Francisco (FC) - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:43 AM

..that’ll be phased out by 2013

Why wait so long? Are they under some sort of Laundry contract till 2013?

7. yankeesfanlen - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:51 AM

These don’t look too much different than the last time the Metropolitans were in the World Series.
    Cool Subway series-same result, no doubt

• brohancruyff - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:57 AM

There are a few differences, mostly the noted removal of the black drop-shadow. The bigger changes are in the elimination of any of the all- or partially-black hats (it’s been years since they’ve worn blue hats on the road), and the drastic reduction in use of the black shirts. All of which are things that, as a Mets fan, I have been far more adamant about than anyone ever should be about something that doesn’t matter at all.

• dohpey28 - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:13 AM

Another difference is the pinstrape uniforms aren’t pure white like the one’s the’d been wearing the the last few years before last season. They’re slightly off-white. I wish they would just use the pinstripes at home and the solid grays on the road and be done with all other variations, atleast the black unis are gone after this season.

8. kellyb9 - Nov 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM

About time. Always liked these jerseys. As a Phillies fan, I wish they’d do the same thing with their away jerseys…. city name instead of team name like all the classic teams… and the teams that want to be classic.

• poreef - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:53 PM

You may be the rarest of birds, a classy Phillies phan on an online forum.

I just about lept out at my seat at a game a few years back where some jackass behind me was talking about how, in baseball, the road teams wear light colors and the home team dark.

The fog of anger clouds my memory, but basically the home team (it must have been either the White Sox or the Brewers) were wearing alternate black and the visitors some light cream concoction.

9. cintiphil - Nov 17, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I think this may do it. Just bring back Tom Terrific and they have it won.

10. The Dangerous Mabry - Nov 17, 2011 at 12:58 PM

I’ll be damned. It turns out that once you go black, it is in fact possible to go back.

11. gnyj85 - Nov 17, 2011 at 4:52 PM

Anybody like those solid blue jerseys they wore this year that said “Los Mets” a few times. I thought those were really cool looking..they should wear those more next year.

• pjmitch - Nov 17, 2011 at 7:46 PM