Nov 17, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT
When David Einhorn backed out of buying into the Mets, the Mets announced that rather than finding one big sugar daddy that they’d look for multiple sugar babies instead. Investors looking to give them, say $20 million a pop. The search for such beasts has been ongoing, but it’s not going quickly:
At this point, none of the units have been sold, said two people briefed on the status of the sales who spoke on the condition of anonymity. They added that there were strong buyer commitments for as many as seven of the shares. However, until there are equally firm offers for the other units, it is possible that none of them will be sold.
I still don’t get who would want to own a small part of a closely-held corporation like this. No control and the possibility of capital calls whenever. Fine, you can say you own a piece of the Mets and get a suite at the games. I could go to parties all over the city for a year and tell people I own part of the Mets and I bet no one would bother to call my bluff. A suite can be had for less than $20 million.
Oh well. The rich are different than you and me.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)