Cashman: “I have an interest in both Freddy and Bartolo”

Nov 18, 2011, 12:03 PM EDT

Freddy Garcia AP

Brian Cashman said today that he is interested in re-signing both Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia. From ESPN New York:

“I have an interest in both Freddy and Bartolo. Those guys all did a good job for us, a really good job.”

Makes sense. Particularly Garcia who it is not quite as unreasonable to assume can do what he did in 2011 in 2012.  Colon’s surprising year doesn’t strike me as potentially replicable, though I suppose it could happen.

1. phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM

“But of course the Yankees are on a budget, so they may not be able to make the kind of big splash that getting both of those guys would require …”

ZING!

2. uyf1950 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:15 PM

I’m sorry I just don’t see the need for resigning either Garcia or Colon and I especially don’t see the need or a reason for signing both.

Garcia would be my next to last choice and Colon my last choice as options to sign. The Yankees have viable in house options that at the very least should be given first opportunity to “fail” before signing either one of them. Players like: Noesi, DJ Mitchell, David Phelps, etc…who unlike either Banuelos and Betances have pitched a fair amount of innings in Triple A. Just my opinion.

• phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Im with you on part of that… Bring back Garcia OR Colon but certainly not both. I mean assuming Hughes is healthy and effective we have a rotation of CC,Nova,AJ,Hughes, Garcia.. where does Colon fit in?
      I disagree with bringing up on one of the young kids before the midway mark… I do not thing that they are 25 Start MLB ready yet.

• lardin - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I disagree. Lets say the Yankees dont bring in any veteran starters. Barring no injuries, the Yankees Rotation out of spring training is CC, AJ, Nova, Hughes, and Noesi. What if Noesi stinks, Hughes proves that last year is normal, Nova regresses and AJ is AJ. This is certainly possible. YOu want 3-4 guys from the minors on the staff at the same time? Learning to pitch in the big leagues and being counted on to win games at the same time? What happens when these guys dont perform, where do you go next? The Yankees would end up like the 2011 Boston Red Sox. Bring in the Veterans like Garcia and Colon. They provide depth. Just dont overpay for them. Sign them to minor league contracts with no guaranteed or very low guaranteed money. In fact, I would also bring back Mark Prior on a minor league contract. I would also contact Ben Sheets. The more starters the better. Veterans who have proven themselves who come cheap are great.

All that being said, I dont think Freddy Garcia and/or Bartolo Colon will be as cheap as they were last year.

• uyf1950 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM

phukyouk, Cashman has already expressed his desire to give the young guys like Noesi, Mitchell and Phelps a chance to win a spot in the starting rotation come spring training. Also, Noesi as I’m sure you know is already on the big league and logged about 60 innings in NY this past season he also has been pitching in the AzFL as have Mitchell and Phelps who both have over 100 innings just in 2011 in SWB. You may be right they may not be ready for full time duty but there is only one way to tell. Give them a shot.
        I agree with you about Banuelos and Betances, they should stay and spend more time in the minors before they even get a whiff of regular time in NY.

• phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

UYF let me also state that i am not a fan of Noesi. I have not seen Phelps or Mitchell pitch so I cannot speak to them. But unless they are going to trade AJ (PLEASE SANTA) i would like to see Hughes and Nova in the rotation.

• uyf1950 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM

phukyouk – Personally I’d rather have Noesi in the rotation than either Garcia or Colon at this point. Is Noesi going to have growing pains absolutely but I think he has way more upside and not nearly the downside of either Garcia or Colon even just for 1 year. As for the rest of your comment I’m with you 110%.

• uyf1950 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Gentlemen, you misunderstood part of my comment. Yes I am against resigning either or both Garcia or Colon. My reference to the young arms Noesi, etc… was that they should be given a shot before either Garcia or Colon. I do think in part the Yankees should check out other FA or trading options BEFORE Noesi and co. There are in my opinion several FA options that are at least equal to to better options for the Yankees at probably no more cost than Garcia. Remember, While both Garcia and Colon initially signed minor league contracts with the Yankees they made the roster and ultimately made made I believe about $5M and $4.6 respecitively based on their starts in 2011. Garcia certainly isn’t going to sign a minor league or incentive laden contract without at least a $5M guarantee and possibly a 2nd year either vested or guaranteed deal. As for Colon he’s probably looking at hooking up with another team with a guaranteed contract probably not as large as Garcia’s looking at mostly because of his age (39). So forget signing either one or both of them for roughly the same as the Yankees did last year.

3. RickyB - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Please repeat: “You can never have enough starting pitching.” Just when you think you do, you don’t.

• lardin - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

For proof to your statement, just look at the 2011 Boston Red Sox, who thought they had the best rotation in baseball, only to see it fall apart due to injuries and ineffectiveness.

4. chip56 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Based on how well they performed last year I believe Colon and Garcia will get contract offers with other teams for significantly more base money than they got as Yankees in 2011. With that in mind, I think it makes sense to look for the next version of Colon and Garcia rather than paying them more money and hoping that they can duplicate last year’s success.

5. Chris K - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:58 PM

There was a time when the Yankees signing both Freddy Garcia and Bartolo Colon would trigger talk of a salary cap necessity to allow small market teams to remain competitive.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5111)