Dale Sveum’s nickname: “Nuts”

Nov 18, 2011, 1:27 PM EDT

Dale Sveum AP

I’m guessing Brewers fans knew this already, but I was unaware that Dale Sveum’s nickname is “nuts.” Things like deez always sort of surprise me.

Over at CSNChicago.com, Tony Andracki recounts Sveum’s answer when he asked how he got that nickname.  Fun reading.  Sveum is a bit cagey about it, but it’s fun reading.

I think I’m going to make up some story about how he really got that name now.

1. phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:30 PM

“Things like deez always sort of surprise me.”

I see what you did there

2. phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM

“”Way more up here,” he said, pointing to his head. “It comes from some of the stuff I used to do up here. But yeah, that nickname has been here a long time. It started in Milwaukee. But I am still a low-key guy, just did maybe some stupid things at one point.”

Stupid like getting in the face of your teammate after a disastrous first inning? Oh wait, that was Carlos Zambrano.

Stupid like punching your catcher in the face after a poor outing? Nope, still Zambrano.

OK, stupid like throwing at opposing hitters (allegedly) and then storming off the field, clearing out your locker and declaring to the clubhouse attendant that you’re retiring? Still Zambrano.”

I LOL’d….. Alot

3. Chris St. John - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:34 PM

(phone rings)
    [Theo] Hello?
    [Sveum] Whassup.
    [Theo] Hello, what you doin?
    [Sveum] Nuthin, just kickin it.
    [Theo] You all done?
    [Sveum] Naw, what you gonna do today?
    [Theo] Um, re-do the farm system, I’m gonna sign some under-appreciated free agents –
    [Sveum] Hey, did what’s his name get at you yesterday?
    [Theo] Who?
    [Sveum] Deeeeeezzz Nutsss!

4. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Nov 18, 2011 at 5:28 PM

Craig, he’s managing the Cubs and you’re surprised his nickname is Nuts.

5. frankvzappa - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:37 PM

That also happens to be the name of my pet iguana. It is an abbreviated form of lizardnuts.

6. shaggytoodle - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:49 PM

i always that it was ” the svuemer”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4995)