Nov 18, 2011, 9:12 PM EST
Apparently satisfied with the state of their outfield following the recent acquisition of Melky Cabrera, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported last week that the Giants were no longer expected to attempt to bring back Carlos Beltran. It sounded pretty ridiculous at the time and fortunately for Giants fans, that’s not necessarily the case.
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Giants are still in the market for an outfielder and Beltran is at the top of their list.
The market for Beltran has been strangely quiet in the first couple of weeks of the Hot Stove season. The Red Sox are expected to pursue him, but they are busy attempting to re-sign David Ortiz right now. And we heard something about the Marlins the other day, but let’s be honest, they are in on pretty much everybody and it’s pretty difficult to say whether they are actually serious about any of them. Beltran is one of the top free agents out there, so business should pick up as we get closer to the Winter Meetings next month.
Beltran, who turns 35 in April, batted .300/.385/.525 with 22 homers, 84 RBI and a .910 OPS over 598 plate appearances this season, including a .323/.369/.551 batting line over 44 games with San Francisco.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 67
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 33
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)