Nov 18, 2011, 9:12 PM EST
Apparently satisfied with the state of their outfield following the recent acquisition of Melky Cabrera, Jon Heyman of SI.com reported last week that the Giants were no longer expected to attempt to bring back Carlos Beltran. It sounded pretty ridiculous at the time and fortunately for Giants fans, that’s not necessarily the case.
According to Buster Olney of ESPN.com, the Giants are still in the market for an outfielder and Beltran is at the top of their list.
The market for Beltran has been strangely quiet in the first couple of weeks of the Hot Stove season. The Red Sox are expected to pursue him, but they are busy attempting to re-sign David Ortiz right now. And we heard something about the Marlins the other day, but let’s be honest, they are in on pretty much everybody and it’s pretty difficult to say whether they are actually serious about any of them. Beltran is one of the top free agents out there, so business should pick up as we get closer to the Winter Meetings next month.
Beltran, who turns 35 in April, batted .300/.385/.525 with 22 homers, 84 RBI and a .910 OPS over 598 plate appearances this season, including a .323/.369/.551 batting line over 44 games with San Francisco.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 0
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (77)