Nov 18, 2011, 6:29 PM EDT
2006 first-round pick Matt Antonelli was a big bust for the Padres, but the Orioles apparently liked what he did with the Nationals’ Triple-A club last season. They signed him to a major league contract on Friday and will give him a chance to compete for a job in spring training.
Antonelli, who turns 27 in April, hit .297/.393/.460 with eight homers and a 59/47 K/BB ratio in 300 at-bats for Triple-A Syracuse.
For Antonelli, it was his first successful campaign since 2007. Baseball America rated him the game’s No. 50 prospect after that season, but he went on to hit .215/.335/.322 and .196/.300/.339 for the Padres’ Triple-A club the following two seasons. After he missed most of 2010 with a fractured hamate bone, he was non-tendered by the Padres and signed with Washington.
Strictly a third baseman and a second baseman beforehand, Antonelli got some time at shortstop and in left field last season, making him a more viable option as a utilityman. The Orioles can’t be certain they can count on Brian Roberts at second base and they’ll probably open up with the inconsistent Chris Davis at third base next year, so there might be an opportunity for Antonelli to gain substantial playing time if he wins a job.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 79
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)