The Blue Jays go retro with their new logo, uniforms

Nov 18, 2011, 12:21 PM EDT

The Toronto Blue Jays just unveiled their new logo and uniforms.  And they look pretty familiar:

source:

I like ‘em, mostly because I always liked the old ones.  It’s a clean look. The split font on the team name and the numbers is unique. Sure, some people may say it’s too 70s, but the aggressive-looking bird and all of the stuff they’ve been using for the past several years is no less a relic of its time.  With some time away and some perspective, the old look is pretty darn nice in my view.

1. Bryz - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM

East Coast bias when it comes to new jersey/logo changes for 2012.

• paperlions - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:25 PM

You want the Padre’s to go back to brown and yellow?

• b7p19 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Yes, right now.

• Bryz - Nov 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Looks like I didn’t show enough sarcasm in that post.

2. paint771 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:28 PM

The solid blue ones are great.

3. brohancruyff - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Those look pretty sharp. I’ve been hoping for a while they’d do something like this, mostly because the ones they’re now dumping looked awful.

4. proudlycanadian - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I always liked the old logo and hated the recent logo.. I love this change.

• mcsnide - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Good new look. I was hoping they’d bring back the powder blues, though. Easily my favorite unis of all time.

• brohancruyff - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:42 PM

Those are pretty nice, but I’m fully willing to trade all of the rest of what they were wearing this year for this new wardrobe, even if it means sacrificing the powder blues.

• dirtyharry1971 - Nov 19, 2011 at 12:17 AM

They should just put the number 4 on their uniform as in 4th place AGAIN! Cause that isnt changing anytime soon with this terrible franchise

5. sonofabeachy - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

why does bautista look like he’s just been violated?

nice uni, though.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM

Dude, He’s just eyeing up the hot reporter in the front row with the short skirt on. That isn’t an “I’ve been violated” look. It’s an ” I wanna do some violatin” look. It’s sooo obvious.

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM

Jonny, when you put i that way, I tend to agree. My parents have a fabulous College graduation picture of me with a very similar look on my face because my girlfriend at the time was behind the photographer in a tube top: the outfit that says “boobz” like none other. She was/is his daughter, which is how he came to have this gig of photographing all of us individually and as a group…I wonder whatever became of her; she was freaky, but in a good way :) …damn, now I REALLY like those uniforms!

6. cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:56 PM

I pretty happy to see this, actually. My vintage Blue Jays cap & jersey are once again relevant. I do believe, in honor of HBT I’m going to be ordering my self a nice new “retro” Beaver Men bathrobe. Then I shall get a bubble pipe and head over to my mom’s house to catch all Blue Jay’s games from my new lair.

• sportsdrenched.com - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Your girlfreind from college is sure to be looking for you after reading this.

• spudchukar - Nov 18, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Don’t forget your Duluth beaver-proof pants.

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Suddy; The day they arrive I shall let you and all of HBT know that I am officially Beaver Proof. Ordered the fleece lined and regular versions, too. I anticipate them being excellent for dog walking and all weather golfing.

7. trevorb06 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:59 PM

The Blue Jays are one of the few teams where I actually liked the retro ones and the new ones (except starting next season they’ll no longer be new).

I kind of hope the Indians bring back the all red and the Twins bring back the baby blue, that’s just wishful thinking though. At least the Twins are using those cream colored ones now.

8. Ben - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:02 PM

I’m starting to become a bit of a Jays fan. Exciting players, great management, and I like rooting for an underdog. Add cool uniforms and you’re going well.

9. humanexcrement - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Judging by the look on his face, Jose Bautista does not share your optimistic appraisal of the situation. Ugly, ugly, ugly.

• sandpiperair - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:58 PM

His look reminds me of when they reintroduced the baby blues as “Flashback Friday” uniforms. They dragged an old-timer in, I think it was Lloyd Moseby, and asked questions like, “What was it like putting on that uniform for the first time?” His first reaction was, “Look, the uniforms SUCKED, all right?”

• paint771 - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:40 PM

You try getting up on a stage in your work uniform in front of a gaggle of reporters and putting on a fashion show. Dude’s a ballplayer, not a model. There was a funny moment in the press conference when Lawrie got up there and said something to the other guys, cracking them up to break the tension. Got to be pretty awkward for them.

• sandpiperair - Nov 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM

Yeah, life is hard.

10. marshmallowsnake - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Next up, the White Sox bring back the shorts?

11. mkd - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:28 PM

OMG YAY! Death to bland designed by a PR committee uniforms. I hope the Brewers are watching…

• sandpiperair - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:47 PM

Padres too

• mkd - Nov 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Yes- for the last few years the worst uniforms in MLB by far have been the Blue Jays, Padres and Brewers. All nondescript blues with completely bland logos/lettering. Not one iota of an actual personality, which double-stunk because in the past all three had such cool distinct personalities.

I can’t believe the Blue Jays made this 100% correct choice to go back to their roots. What a wonderful surprise.

12. bobwsc - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:33 PM

now if they can just put a new rug down on the stadium floor

13. b7p19 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:42 PM

What a great offseason for uni changes so far.

14. Ted Spradlin - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:48 PM

Glad they got rid of the black unis. Never made sense to me why they abandoned these gems in the first place.

15. North American Bowl - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:11 PM

One of the greatest uniforms ever made.

Way to go Toronto!!!

The black unis and logo was hideous!

GO BLUE JAYS!!!!

16. Chris K - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:25 PM

These are the best uniforms since the originals. Never should have changed the logo. If the jays are desperate to sell new merchandise, I think this balances well with starting true to roots. Long live AA!

17. roycethebaseballhack - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM

I kinda liked the big red maple leaf they had added on the sleeve, in the last few seasons. Sorry to see that go.

18. carol6645 - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Love the logo! Proud Canadians with Maple Leaf and snarky Blue Jay!!

19. carol6645 - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The Blue Jays have had a bad habit of trading their best players. Now they have great players and they are holding on to them plus improving them plus bringing in more excellent players!
    That will give dividends like a #1 Blue Jays team! Can’t wait!

Final take away from World Series