The Marlins’ offer to Jose Reyes was lower than first reported

Nov 18, 2011, 5:23 PM EDT

jose reyes getty Getty Images

Remember when it was reported earlier this week that the Marlins made a $90 million offer to Jose Reyes? Most folks thought it was a low initial offer.  Well, Jon Heyman hears that it was actually $10-20 million lower than that.

He doesn’t rule out that the Marlins may increase the offer and stay competitive in the race for Reyes.  And unlike, say, the Albert Pujols offer, I tend to think that there’s a tad more legitimacy to the Marlins’ bid for Reyes, if for no other reason than why would they antagonize Hanley Ramirez if their interest wasn’t truly sincere.

But really: you gotta do better than this, Miami.

1. dodger88 - Nov 18, 2011 at 6:06 PM

I agree that the Marlins will have to pony up more to have any hope of signing Reyes (or Pujols for that mattter) but I would cut the Marlins a bit of slack. As these are negotiations I would like to think that teams come in lower than they expect to spend and agents ask for more than they are likely to get.

As long as the former is insultingly low and the former astronomically high the two sides should have plenty of room to possibly bridge the gap; of course there should be enough room to allow another team to try to do better. I would say the Cardinals supposed offer from the spring was just that. High enough to not insult Pujols but low enough to make other teams sniff around. No one wants to negotiate against their own offer while dealing with leaks left, right and centre while trying to negotiate.

• quintjs - Nov 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM

The problem I find is that works for basically any other team than the Marlins, who count every penny;

Maybe it is part of normal contract talks, but it is doing nothing to convince me they are actually serious. I think they will sign a couple of free agents but I am thinking at the moment that the Pujols/ Reyes thing is more “we tried to land a big fish, but ended up with some good players” than a serious attempt.

If the Marlins were really really serious, they would start with a serious offer. Phillies/ Papelbon situation proves that.

Putting a couple of lowball offers out to some big names before the bidding for those players gets serious is basically pointless, except as a PR move and hasn’t that information made its way into the public realms rather quickly?

• shrimpking55 - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I think the Phillies overpaid, that’s why Papelbon signed! I disagree that the Marlins need to throw high dollars. Most of these players spend the offseason in Miami and/or have family near. Miami is a beautiful city with a lot of Hispanics. Also no Luxury Tax in Florida!
        They were in NY at 12:01am showing interest on Reyes. They felt out his interest while their visit, they had him visit the new stadium and took him to lunch at South Beach’s Joe’s Stone Crab. The also courted Buerle, and Pujols.
        What you guys don’t realize is that the Marlins are serious in spending money but doing so wisely! Miami is no longer a Miami Dolphins town. The Miami Heat own the reign but you know where that is – LOCKOUT. The Miami Marlins are in position to make a move and become Miami’s 2nd team and if they sign Albert Pujols they can be neck and neck with the Heat. Some talk about the Marlins having 10,000 fans going to the stadium. Besides that Sun Life was not a Baseball friendly stadium. Did you know that the Sun Life Stadium is not in Miami? It was in Broward County. Though I think the Marlins Stadium should have been next to the American Arena, having the stadium in Little Havana solidifies that the Miami-Dade County fans will attend. Do you know why Miami fans did not go to Sun Life Stadium? Because in order to make a 7pm game you needed to leave Miami at 5pm because of traffic and then over 50% chance of rain in summer. I’m sure Broward fans are disappointed about the Marlins move to Miami-Dade County but traffic heading South on I-95 at 6pm is a breeze compared as to heading North at the same time.
        Time will tell!

• cintiphil - Nov 18, 2011 at 7:36 PM

The only thing wrong with your logic is that by offering him less than he already is being offered by the Cardinals, it is an insult. If I were Albert or his agent, I would think why invite me down here (and waste my time), for this kind of show? I expect to be given an offer higher than I already have if you are really serious. Isn’t that the way you would look at it?

2. mojosmagic - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:05 PM

The owner is cheap SOB even with his taxpayer funded stadium. I and maybe 10,000 fan were at the Halliday perfect game. I thought my tickets were special until Lauria began selling Halliday perfect game tickets online!!! A perfect game that was already played! Now the jerk is making low ball offers to superstars to sell season tickets. Don’t fall for Lauria’s Jack Benny act.

3. Old Gator - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:47 PM

A shocking revelation!

4. clarknaddison - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:17 PM

dont be fooled Marlin fans. Low ball offers to four stars cannot seriously be considered real offers. What a joke…

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS