The Twins sign Ryan Doumit

Nov 18, 2011, 2:53 PM EDT

Ryan Doumit AP

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN reports that the Twins have signed catcher — and occasional first baseman — Ryan Doumit to a one-year, $3 million deal. There are performance bonuses involved.

Doumit is a disaster behind the plate, but he can play a little first base. His real asset is his bat. A switch hitter, he has a .271/.334/.442 career line and hit .303/.353/.477 in 2011.

That’s useful no matter how many balls get by him.  And heck, if he’s playing a ton of catcher anyway, the Twins season is probably toast anyway.

Good signing. I like it.

1. kopy - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM

He’s also willing to play RF. As a Twins fan, I approve – for $3 Million.

2. skeleteeth - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Are you taking the piss?

3. btwicey - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Yep good sign

4. sonofabeachy - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM

Insurance for Mauer/Morneau, as well as a possible replacement for Cuddyer in RF. Seems like a great fit.

5. sknut - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Both moves Carroll and Doumit are good solid signings, they can play multiple positions and are upgrades over what the Twins had last year.

6. lrak76 - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

He’ll probably play more games than Mauer or Morneau.

• crashkobra - Nov 19, 2011 at 12:43 AM

I think you meant “and” “combined”

7. dremmel69 - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:55 PM

I am happy about the move back to Terry Ryan. Carroll was a classic Ryan move. He hates to have a non-fielding middle infielder. Doumit makes sense too, considering the run on catchers this off-season and the Twins dismal offense.

That said, this is November. I will reserve judgement on the Twins off-season until the team hits the field in April………

8. b453841l - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM

I was thinking he would be a good target for Minnesota and a good fit with the Twins’ needs. I had written it off as not happening because TR already made his big free agent splash for this off season in signing Jamey Carroll. Glad I was wrong. Hopefully, some more bat acquisitions will happen.

Ace-killer Giants do it again