Tracking the increasing Molina hegemony

Nov 18, 2011, 9:25 AM EDT

Jose Molina

I was all excited when I saw the news nugget about Jose Molina nearing a deal to catch for the Rays embedded in Matthew’s post about the free agent catching market last night.  Because it meant that a Molina was going to catch for a team that no Molina had ever caught for before.

So excited that I sat down to create a Molina Matrix tracking all teams that have been Molinafied since the brothers took control of the major league catching racket.

But I’m sad, now, because it seems that between Bengie, Jose and Yadier, only seven teams have been graced with Molinaness: the Jays, Yankees, Angels, Rangers, Cubs, Cardinals and Giants.  Sure, the Jays and Angels have each had two Molinas, but the Molina Hegemony has not reached nearly as far as I had imagined it to have reached thus far.

If you would have asked me I would have said that there was something close to a 50% Molina Saturation Factor already. Nope. If Jose signs in Tampa Bay we will have only just barely cracked 25%.  I think the latest generation of Boones might be able to challenge that themselves, and there was only two of them.

Anyway, I blame Yadier. One team? Dude, get busy livin’ or get busy dyin’.

1. proudlycanadian - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Jose played quite well for the Jays last year in limited action. He was very good with young pitchers. Depending on the new collective bargaining deal, the Jays will probably get a sandwich round pick in exchange for him.

• Marc - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Dude, what’s with the serious remark about a completely amazing baseball comedy bit? An article like this deserves better. I think the most serious remark that this article should truly warrant is something along the lines of:

“Sir, I would like to commend you for recognizing that there was a gaping hole in the English language that needed filled. I’m both relieved and deeply touched that on this day, the 18th day of November, 2011, your creation of the verb Molinafy has taken the English language to a new level in our fine world. We were once mocked for our stubbornness when we insisted that the combination of the letters P and H does in fact sound like an F. We’ve been ridiculed because we, as an English speaking people, get on buses, get on planes, and get on trains, yet we get in cars because clearly the idea of getting on a car is outlandish. But on this day Mr. Calcaterra, you’ve created a word that only the English language has yet to see, and for that sir, you have my deepest of gratitude.”

• phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:05 AM

gah?!

2. largebill - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Craig,

Sometimes I’ll start reading the articles without the byline to see if I can guess who wrote it. As soon as I saw “Molinafied” in the second paragraph there was no doubt that it was a Calcaterra effort. Now, that I’ve typed that, I have another question – why does your website not recognize “Calcaterra” as a correctly spelled word?

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:42 AM

Damn. I’m sure I would have had you at “hegemony.”

On “Calcaterra”: WordPress has it in for me.

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Did you know that your last name in Latin means: To trample the world?

(What am I thinking, you’re a Lawyer, you BREATHE Latin…)

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM

I’ve always heard it as “pressed earth” or something like that, but I much prefer “trample.”

Also, makes for far better “Craig’s Lair” material.

• badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM

You had me at hegemony.

3. bloodysock - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Add Gustavo Molina (no relation) to the mix and you pick up the Mets, Red Sox, Orioles and White Sox (he also played three games with the Yankees).

This Molina alone has covered five teams and he did in in a total of 26 games.

4. rbkahn - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

There has been a different Molina in the WS each of the past 3 years, and 7 total Molina Appearances in the past 10 WS. Not bad for 1 family.

5. sdelmonte - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Alfred Molina wants in! If he brings his Doctor Octopus arms, can he use a mitt on all of them?

Or do we make him say, “throw me the ball, I throw you the whip?”

6. Francisco (FC) - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Craig called Tiffany and her face appeared on his 70″ LED screen. She was looking at some notes on her PDA. The exchanged the usual pleasantries and got to business quickly:

“Craig are you going to mention the Catcher market in our next HBT Extra?”, she asked.

“Mention? Heck, I’m going to ADDRESS it directly. I find it unfortunate that we have so few quality catchers in the market this season. I’ve started a new project to solve this problem. As a matter of fact this initiative will kill two birds with one stone. I’ve sent you an email with my presentation.”

Tiffany checked her PDA again and her eyebrows started climbing on her face.

“You want to get DNA samples from the Molinas? You’re going to CLONE them? “So this is what you’ve been spending your time on since Matheny was named the Cardinal’s manager?”

“I’ve gotten over that slight. Moz will make it up to me. Back to the situation at hand. So great are the Molinas that I find it a travesty that not all 30 baseball teams have been blessed with their excellence and performance. We can provide the market with much needed quality backstops and further the goal of Molina dominance over MLB.”

Craig sat down in his high chair, placed his bubble type on his stand and brushed his sleeves of his bathrobe and crossed his hands into the finger pyramid of evil contemplation.

“Just think, I’ll have my own personal Molina Clone Army…” he said a low sinister voice…

• Francisco (FC) - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I need an editor! Blech. Much cleaner version of this on my blog…

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Bah. Never mind an editor. You’ve neatly laid the round work for a nice little hegemony to be set up. Just remember, when you are a big shot Mr. Hollywood producer/director you can’t just keep going back and changing the details of stuff people have grown to love, warts and all, just because your ego demands that no one see what a hack you used to be.

7. philosophyki - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:25 AM

I really don’t think you understand what the word hegemony means.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Yeah, I realize it’s distorted beyond much sense here. But I really like to say “hegemony.” Hegemony, hegemony hegemony.

• philosophyki - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM

In that case, I’m right there with you.

• phukyouk - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM

are you saying that it does not mean what he thinks it means?

• jtorrey13 - Nov 18, 2011 at 1:53 PM

Inconceivable!

8. fearlessleader - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Hey now—don’t you go wishing Baby Molina away from my Cardinals!

I saw a bunch of Molinas at a hotel in San Diego during a Cards’ road trip a few years ago, including the family patriarch, Benjamin Sr., a year or so before he died. I stood amazed, not just because I was sharing air with one of the great baseball families of the century, but by the obvious warmth and love among them. I loved Bengie’s tribute when their father died too young:

What a neat bunch. (I reserve the right to amend that judgment if/when the little one signs with the Yankees or the Marlins someday……)

• cogitobaseballergosum - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:01 AM

A “bunch” of Molinas? I beg your pardon. Everybody knows that three or more Molinas together is called a “bevy”, except in England where they’re referred to as a “coterie”.

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM

And in Canada where they are known as “Arencebia’s Back Up”.

9. Jeremiah Graves - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:28 AM

You gotta put a lot of the blame on ole Bengie here. That dude passed up some contracts because he thought he was worth bigger bucks. The Mets wanted him bad a couple years back and I feel like there were some other teams kicking the tires too if he was willing to sign for what a no-bat, serviceable-glove backup catcher should be making…but he still wanted good starting catcher money.

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM

Leave Bengie alone!

10. Kevin S. - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Give Yadi a chance yet. He’s still under his arbitration-avoiding extension. Once he hits FA, I’m sure he’ll journeyman it up.

11. cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM

Now, see, this is why I, cur “El Gaucho” Molina68, should be contacted ASAP by any and all MLB teams who have thus far gone “Molinaless”. In order to solidify the hegemony and have Molinas totally dominate the leagues catcher market we cannot wait on Molinas to be produced the old fashioned way. We must proselytize rather than procreate. Thus, since I’ve been Molinafied for some time now and, as a faux-Molina of standing, I can convert others. All I require are your banking details, some beer and a Yadier Molina bobblehead to complete the ritual. Neck tats are extra.

12. clydeserra - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:06 PM

Reminds me of the trivia question, what pair of brothers have the most combined home runs?

Arthur Rhodes and his brothers have played for 10 teams

Orlando Cabrera has played for 9 and been to the playoffs with 5.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)