Valentine has been on the Red Sox’ radar for some time

Nov 18, 2011, 8:59 AM EDT

Bobby Valentine

It sure seemed like a change in plans when it was revealed that the Red Sox were talking to Bobby Valentine yesterday. But as Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald reports, this is not a new development:

Bobby Valentine has been a candidate for the Red Sox manager job from the early stages of the team’s search process, a club source said yesterday. Valentine was one of the first people interviewed by general manager Ben Cherington

This is less important from the perspective of Bobby Valentine’s status, I think, than it is from a team philosophy perspective.  Because if it had been the case that Ben Cherington had been interviewing guys like Dale Sveum and Pete Mackanin, and then ownership swooped in and injected Bobby V. into the discussion, it would have told a story of a new GM being undermined and organizational incoherence. But if Valentine was always in the running and if Cherington has been part of that process all along, well, then it’s not a big deal.

I will ask one question, though:  If Bobby Valentine has been a candidate for several weeks, is anyone surprised that word of it hadn’t gotten out before yesterday?  He’s so recognizable. And last year, when he was being connected to several teams, we heard about it almost immediately, often from people close to Valentine, as opposed to the team.

1. EK Ohio - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Cherington: “Bobby, we’d like to bring you in for an interview.”
    Valentine: “OK, but I want to avoid the media circus that happened last season when I supposedly was going to interview for every team.”
    Cherington: “That is perfectly reasonable, Bobby. In fact, Mr. Lucchino knows a guy who sells mustaches…”

• proudlycanadian - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:18 AM

It is Movember and he might have already begun to grow a mustache in honor if the fight against prostate cancer.

• amaninwhite - Nov 18, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Obviously Cherington borrowed Epstein’s gorilla suit and Valentine used his fake mustache/glasses, so no one was aware of the actual meeting.

2. paperlions - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:19 AM

This morning on WEEI they said (didn’t hear who the “sources” might have been, but it was said as if they were repeating a story) that Cherrington had a recommendation after the initial interviews and that ownership didn’t like it. The apparent change in direction late in the search is apparently real and was a directive from ownership. It is almost certain that this contention is ownership spin. They seem to think anything they make up will be instant fact.

Has any organization leaked so many details about players, coaches, and FO people and continued to do so over such a long period of time? The only constant during that time is ownership….anyone else you could blame hasn’t been around during the entire time.

• JBerardi - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:58 AM

“The only constant during that time is ownership”

The constant is the Boston sports media. Things were exactly the same under the old ownership.

3. Jonny 5 - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:20 AM

“I have no reason to doubt the report that the Sox have been on Valentine for a while, but I am kinda surprised that no one leaked word of it before now.”

It’s the teeth, they had to think about it before letting the cat out of the bag. They want this.

On a goofy note. For two years I have accurately predicted the outcome of every Bobby V. Rumor by judging what his teeth (little bleached divas) would have chosen due to the media exposure they would recieve. I now predict that Bobby will be the Bosox manager because his teeth approve this time. Plus he digs the “B” on the hat. It stands for Bobby….

4. bloodysock - Nov 18, 2011 at 9:59 AM

With Theo gone, perhaps the leaks have been plugged and the interest in Valentine was kept low profile.

• mcsnide - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM

If this is sarcasm, then well done. Otherwise, it seems odd to me that Terry Francona would stay in close touch with a guy who broadcast to the world that Francona was a drug-addled burnout so obsessed with his failing marriage that he forgot how to do his job. But maybe Tito’s just more forgiving than I am.

• cur68 - Nov 18, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Thought the same myself, B-sock. Lets see if Cubs FO news suddenly become as common as the “Strained Oblique”, eh?

psst, mcsnide, “Theo” not “Tito”.

• mcsnide - Nov 18, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Sorry, Cur, but I’m not following you. The person who was wronged (Tito) would be the one who would have to be forgiving, not the person who was spreading the rumors (Theo).

5. litemater95 - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Epstein left already, so it couldn’t have been leaked already…..

6. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM

If Bobby does indeed take a managing job, I hear ESPN will hire a chimp to replace him on Sunday Night Baseball telecasts.

7. tashkalucy - Nov 18, 2011 at 10:43 AM

Red Sox are falling apart.

Yankees and Phils within the next 2 years.

Never underestimate what a superstar player in his prime can mean to a team. The Red Sox haven’t had one since Manny left. With him the the middle of the lineup even that lying, two-faced, scumbag Kevin Milar (I signed with Japan, but oh I want to go to the Red Sox instead because my country is going to war…..and what did he do for the war effort?) looked like an important major league player.

Jeter and Mariano only have a few more years left. Let’s see how Cano does when he has to be the leader and can’t watch them take the daily pressure off from the media and fans.

Theo Epstein’s “genius” was owed quite a bit to Dan Duquette leaving him a Manny. Gads, imagine the numbers Manny would have put up were he happy where he was playing.

• mcsnide - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM

Right, Dustin Pedroia and Jacoby Ellsbury suck. And Adrian Gonzalez? That guy’s a loser.

• 18thstreet - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Just sorted the Red Sox roster by age. I’d say there’s lots of players in the primes of their careers, and not just the superstars. Saltalamacchia, Lester, Pedroia, Ellsbury, Buchholz, and Aceves.

8. yankeesgameday - Nov 18, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Valentine would represent the most unoriginal, middle of the road , and annoying choice on the planet. I honestly don’t think your average red Sox fan could stomach listening to this guy everyday for seven months.

But you tell me: can you stand the idea of Valentine being the face and voice of your franchise?

The guy comes off as a major boob to me and I’d be suicidal if I had to listen to his press conferences and quotes everyday.

9. bigleagues - Nov 18, 2011 at 2:45 PM

Valentine will have to leave his public service job in Stamford: http://www.stamfordadvocate.com/local/article/In-wake-of-storm-Bobby-Valentine-serves-as-980884.php

That said, Cherington doesn’t have a whole lot of recognition vulnerability in the metro NYC region (where Stamford is located). He could have easily drove down an met Valentine there – OR, Valentine could have taken the 2.5 drive up to Boston and straight into the Fenway Park private parking area and escaped detection.

That he was interviewed and no seen, does not seem too far fetched for me.

10. billymc75 - Nov 18, 2011 at 5:29 PM

the only guy that can straightin out a clubhouse and instill discipline

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5570)