Nov 18, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
Peter Gammons was told by scouts in the Dominican Republic that Yoenis Cespedes expects a deal in the $35-50 million range.
Yikes. That’s more than Aroldis Chapman got. But then again, you’re getting six years of team control out of him, right? So amortize that and it works out well as long as he becomes even a useful regular player. If he’s a star, you’ve come out ahead.
There are still a ton of teams interested in the guy. The latest is said to be the Cubs. But really, even at close to $50 million, most teams should have at least some interest in the guy.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)