Nov 18, 2011, 1:57 PM EST
Peter Gammons was told by scouts in the Dominican Republic that Yoenis Cespedes expects a deal in the $35-50 million range.
Yikes. That’s more than Aroldis Chapman got. But then again, you’re getting six years of team control out of him, right? So amortize that and it works out well as long as he becomes even a useful regular player. If he’s a star, you’ve come out ahead.
There are still a ton of teams interested in the guy. The latest is said to be the Cubs. But really, even at close to $50 million, most teams should have at least some interest in the guy.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)