Nov 18, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
Peter Gammons was told by scouts in the Dominican Republic that Yoenis Cespedes expects a deal in the $35-50 million range.
Yikes. That’s more than Aroldis Chapman got. But then again, you’re getting six years of team control out of him, right? So amortize that and it works out well as long as he becomes even a useful regular player. If he’s a star, you’ve come out ahead.
There are still a ton of teams interested in the guy. The latest is said to be the Cubs. But really, even at close to $50 million, most teams should have at least some interest in the guy.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)