Nov 18, 2011, 1:57 PM EDT
Peter Gammons was told by scouts in the Dominican Republic that Yoenis Cespedes expects a deal in the $35-50 million range.
Yikes. That’s more than Aroldis Chapman got. But then again, you’re getting six years of team control out of him, right? So amortize that and it works out well as long as he becomes even a useful regular player. If he’s a star, you’ve come out ahead.
There are still a ton of teams interested in the guy. The latest is said to be the Cubs. But really, even at close to $50 million, most teams should have at least some interest in the guy.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 45
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)