Nov 18, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Dave Brown of Big League Stew is about the nicest guy I’ve met since I started meeting baseball writery-types a couple of years ago. He’s funny. Disarming. Straight shooter. If there’s anyone who isn’t going to misrepresent you in an interview it’s Dave. Quite the opposite in fact. His forte, via his Answer Man interviews, is to simply let ballplayers be themselves. It’s not Dave’s fault — even if it is his genius — that that tends to often not work quite the way the subjects might envision.
So you can imagine how sad I was when I read his latest installment — Jose Canseco — and learned that Canseco won’t talk to anyone unless they pay him $2,000.
Dave makes the most out of it though and, as usual, you learn more about the subject than they probably intended. Good stuff.
The best part: the teaser on the bottom for the next installment: “Coming Monday: Breakfast in Vegas with Pete Rose. No, really.”
Anything to get us through the offseason.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 15
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 43
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 22
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)