Nov 18, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Dave Brown of Big League Stew is about the nicest guy I’ve met since I started meeting baseball writery-types a couple of years ago. He’s funny. Disarming. Straight shooter. If there’s anyone who isn’t going to misrepresent you in an interview it’s Dave. Quite the opposite in fact. His forte, via his Answer Man interviews, is to simply let ballplayers be themselves. It’s not Dave’s fault — even if it is his genius — that that tends to often not work quite the way the subjects might envision.
So you can imagine how sad I was when I read his latest installment — Jose Canseco — and learned that Canseco won’t talk to anyone unless they pay him $2,000.
Dave makes the most out of it though and, as usual, you learn more about the subject than they probably intended. Good stuff.
The best part: the teaser on the bottom for the next installment: “Coming Monday: Breakfast in Vegas with Pete Rose. No, really.”
Anything to get us through the offseason.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)