Nov 18, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Dave Brown of Big League Stew is about the nicest guy I’ve met since I started meeting baseball writery-types a couple of years ago. He’s funny. Disarming. Straight shooter. If there’s anyone who isn’t going to misrepresent you in an interview it’s Dave. Quite the opposite in fact. His forte, via his Answer Man interviews, is to simply let ballplayers be themselves. It’s not Dave’s fault — even if it is his genius — that that tends to often not work quite the way the subjects might envision.
So you can imagine how sad I was when I read his latest installment — Jose Canseco — and learned that Canseco won’t talk to anyone unless they pay him $2,000.
Dave makes the most out of it though and, as usual, you learn more about the subject than they probably intended. Good stuff.
The best part: the teaser on the bottom for the next installment: “Coming Monday: Breakfast in Vegas with Pete Rose. No, really.”
Anything to get us through the offseason.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 23
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 102
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 75
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (102)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)