Nov 18, 2011, 4:50 PM EDT
Dave Brown of Big League Stew is about the nicest guy I’ve met since I started meeting baseball writery-types a couple of years ago. He’s funny. Disarming. Straight shooter. If there’s anyone who isn’t going to misrepresent you in an interview it’s Dave. Quite the opposite in fact. His forte, via his Answer Man interviews, is to simply let ballplayers be themselves. It’s not Dave’s fault — even if it is his genius — that that tends to often not work quite the way the subjects might envision.
So you can imagine how sad I was when I read his latest installment — Jose Canseco — and learned that Canseco won’t talk to anyone unless they pay him $2,000.
Dave makes the most out of it though and, as usual, you learn more about the subject than they probably intended. Good stuff.
The best part: the teaser on the bottom for the next installment: “Coming Monday: Breakfast in Vegas with Pete Rose. No, really.”
Anything to get us through the offseason.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)