Nov 19, 2011, 4:11 PM EST
The strange voyage of Brett Wallace continues.
Steve Campbell of Houston Chronicle reports that Wallace was recently dropped from his Dominican Winter League team. The 25-year-old batted .173 (9-for-52) with two home runs and nine RBI over 20 games before getting the boot from the Escogido Lions.
Astros general manager Ed Wade, who was busy at the general managers’ meetings this week in Milwaukee, told Campbell that he wasn’t aware of Wallace’s release.
“He’s been struggling down there, and it’s a very competitive environment,” Wade said.
It’s not usual for players to be dropped from winter ball, as teams are there to win as opposed to doing any favors for MLB teams, but this is just the latest turn in a disappointing year for the former top prospect. Wallace left spring training as the starting first baseman, but eventually lost his job to Carlos Lee and was sent back down to the minors in late July. He batted .259/.334/.369 with five home runs, 29 RBI and a .703 OPS over 378 plate appearances at the major league level this season.
Lee, who has one year left on his six-year, $100 million contract, is set to open 2012 as the starting first baseman while Wade says that Wallace will have to “win a job” on the Opening Day roster.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)