Nov 19, 2011, 4:11 PM EDT
The strange voyage of Brett Wallace continues.
Steve Campbell of Houston Chronicle reports that Wallace was recently dropped from his Dominican Winter League team. The 25-year-old batted .173 (9-for-52) with two home runs and nine RBI over 20 games before getting the boot from the Escogido Lions.
Astros general manager Ed Wade, who was busy at the general managers’ meetings this week in Milwaukee, told Campbell that he wasn’t aware of Wallace’s release.
“He’s been struggling down there, and it’s a very competitive environment,” Wade said.
It’s not usual for players to be dropped from winter ball, as teams are there to win as opposed to doing any favors for MLB teams, but this is just the latest turn in a disappointing year for the former top prospect. Wallace left spring training as the starting first baseman, but eventually lost his job to Carlos Lee and was sent back down to the minors in late July. He batted .259/.334/.369 with five home runs, 29 RBI and a .703 OPS over 378 plate appearances at the major league level this season.
Lee, who has one year left on his six-year, $100 million contract, is set to open 2012 as the starting first baseman while Wade says that Wallace will have to “win a job” on the Opening Day roster.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)