Nov 19, 2011, 10:45 AM EST
UPDATE: Big Z’s next start might be put on hold, at least for precautionary reasons. Bruce Levine of ESPN Chicago reports that in addition to receiving 10 stitches as a result of the comebacker, Zambrano also suffered soft tissue damage. He is scheduled to undergo more tests in the coming days.
10:45 AM: According to Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, Carlos Zambrano was hit in the face with a line drive during a start last night with Los Caribes de Anzoátegui in the Venezuelan Winter League.
Zambrano was removed from the game and received stitches at a local hospital, but expects to make his next scheduled start.
Big Z was having his best outing of the winter before being hit by the comebacker, allowing one unearned run on two hits over five innings while striking out four and walking a pair. He has a 3.29 ERA and 12/6 K/BB ratio in 13 2/3 innings over his first three winter league outings.
Zambrano met with new Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein in Chicago last week and was told that he will have to “earn his way back” to staying with the team. The 30-year-old right-hander posted a disappointing 4.82 ERA this season before being placed on the restricted list in mid-August and is owed $18 million in 2012.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 103
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 9
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 28
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 34
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (115)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)