Nov 19, 2011, 8:06 PM EDT
As it turns out, Mike Matheny needed the Cardinals managerial job a lot more than Terry Francona did.
St. Louis’s new hire lost his 17-room house in Missouri and may yet owe more than $4 million due to bad real estate deals, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Saturday.
Jack Wagman presents a very well researched and detailed account of how Matheny and his business partners suffered during the real estate downturn, costing Matheny both of his homes. Matheny currently lists his in-laws’ home as his address.
Matheny is expected to be one of the game’s lowest-paid managers, at something less than $750,000 annually, after replacing Tony La Russa, so he may remain in debt for the foreseeable future, depending on how the lawsuit goes. The Cardinals, though, knew all about these dealing when they hired him and still believed he was the right man for the job.
As for Matheny’s home, it’s currently listed online with a $2 million asking price. It has seven bedrooms, 10 baths, a practice baseball field and an indoor batting cage on 11 acres.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 8
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 35
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 9
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 71
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)