Nov 19, 2011, 11:40 AM EST
We already know that there will be an extra Wild Card team in each league and a one-game playoff, perhaps as soon as next season. Craig discussed the issue at length yesterday, by the way. But Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that there could be another change to the playoff format on the horizon:
Source: Rule that a team cannot play another club from same division in Division Series will most likely be eliminated in new playoff format.
For example: If PHI has best record, and Braves/Nats are No. 4-5 seeds, PHI could play winner of ATL/WASH under new format,in all likelihood.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 64
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 246
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (246)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (91)