Nov 20, 2011, 7:14 PM EDT
Philadelphia picked up a decent right-handed bat, potential fill in for Ryan Howard at first base, and possible alternative to Placido Polanco at third base, acquiring Ty Wigginton from Colorado for a player to be named later or cash.
Wigginton is owed $4 million in 2012 and his contract has a $4 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2013, but Troy Renck of the Denver Post reports that the Rockies are covering half of his 2012 salary.
That makes him cheap enough to not rule out the Phillies continuing their pursuit of a free agent outfielder like Michael Cuddyer. And if not they basically settled for the poor man’s Cuddyer.
He’s not much of a defender at third base and hasn’t cracked a .750 OPS since 2008, so clearly the Rockies were happy enough to just save a couple million bucks. Wigginton, who turned 34 years old last month, batted .242 with a .315 on-base percentage and .416 slugging percentage in 130 games for Colorado, smacking 15 homers in 401 at-bats while starting games at third base, first base, and both corner outfield spots.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 24
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)