The Braves are interested in the Yankees’ Eduardo Nunez

Nov 20, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

eduardo-nunez-yankees Getty Images

John Harper of the New York Daily News reports that the Braves have asked the Yankees about the availability of Eduardo Nunez.  That’s fine as far as it goes. The Braves need someone to play shortstop and there aren’t a ton of great candidates available.

Think of it as last call. You look around and find someone that might make you feel good for a little while.  I won’t judge you, man.  That is unless you actually think you love that person at the end of the bar:

“They need offense, they need a shortstop because they don’t want to bring (Alex) Gonzalez back, and they like Nunez a lot,” Harper’s source said. “They know the jury is out on him defensively, but they think his offense is strong enough that he could move to the outfield if he can’t be their long-term answer at short.”

Er, OK. Look, Nunez has his uses, but he also has an OBP of .318 and a grand total of 30 homers in 2700+ career minor league plate appearances. I know it’s not the 90s anymore, but if it’s offense which makes him attractive to you, Frank Wren, you may want to make sure you aren’t goggling.

Not to say that there isn’t a lot of room for the Braves and Yankees to make a trade here. The Braves have a lot of pitching lying around and will have to move Jair Jurrjens or Tommy Hanson — almost certainly Jurrjens — at some point soon.  These two teams have hooked up in trades in the past and it would not be at all shocking if they did again.

But Braves: you had better ask for something more than Eduardo Nunez’s mighty bat if you’re going to make a deal, OK?

1. mvpolamalu - Nov 20, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Hes actually not bad

• JBerardi - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Well, that settles it.

2. clownsfan - Nov 20, 2011 at 10:53 AM

Offense or not. This guy is AWFUL.

3. Andrew Constant - Nov 20, 2011 at 10:56 AM

We better not try and trade Jurrjens for Eduardo fucking Nunez.

• lordd99 - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:28 PM

Don’t worry. You’re safe. The Yankees would never trade Nunez for Jurrjens since Nunez has more value to them. Jurrjens is a back-end starter in the AL East. and one who probably can’t even deliver 24 starts and 130 innings. They might as well re-sign Freddy Garcia and hold on to Nunez.

• jjschiller - Nov 20, 2011 at 10:00 PM

Yeah. 702 career IP of 3.40 ERA, and going in to his age 26 season, with 3 more years of team control… Who would want him? Gimme some Freddy Garcia. He’s a true Yankee.. Or something..

4. uuddlrlrbastart - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM

I hear the Blue Jays have a pretty good shortstop.

• Kyle - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Beat me to it. Dang.

5. casey5jones - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:45 AM

For some baffling reason the Bravos are dying to ship Prado off. Well, there is a good fit for him in the Yankees.

Posada is gone. You can have Tex, A-rod, Cano, Swisher, and Gardner stay where they are and have Prado DH. When any of those guys need a break they can DH and you have a guy in Prado who can play any of their positions. Even Granderson can DH and you move Gardner to CF and Prado to LF.

The question then is this: Is Eduardo Nunez as valuable as Martin Prado? Or vice versa.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:50 AM

and have Prado DH

Sorry, seat’s taken

-Jesus Montero

• yankeesgameday - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:52 AM

The Yanks don’t need another utility position player and their DH situation is a mess, no need to add to that cluster f*ck. Nunez for pitching is a good equation, but if course it depends on the pitcher. Jarjar binks would get eaten alive in the al east, so I’d actually rather keep nunez than make that trade.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 20, 2011 at 12:01 PM

and their DH situation is a mess

Huh? How is it a mess?

6. casey5jones - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:46 AM

Me, Kyle?

7. proudlycanadian - Nov 20, 2011 at 11:57 AM

The Braves used to have a good short stop and ran him out of town. They traded him to Toronto for an ancient short stop and a couple of prospects. They then traded away one of the prospects. They kept the young infielder, but do not think that he is ready to take over at short stop. Meanwhile, the Jays are very happy with their end of the trade.

• dirtyharry1971 - Nov 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM

the jays suck and are headed for 4th place again in 2012, time to accept that fact proudly

8. casey5jones - Nov 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM

A. Yeah, how is it a mess? B. another utility player? The only one they have is Nunez.

As for Montero DH’ing, church… Sure, not a bad idea. But, he is only 22 and I would rather have catch over Russell Martin than DH. The Yankees want him as the catcher in the future and if that is to happen, he needs the reps behind the plate to improve defensively.

At the end of the day, though (and I think you may agree), Prado is a much better player to have on your bench as utility than Nunez is.

Though I still maintain Prado would make an excellent everyday-player for any team in MLB. And if the Braves trade him, well, it would make their front office a little crazier than Mr. Turner…right, Craig?

• lordd99 - Nov 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

Montero is probably not a catcher long term, and if not for Teixeira they probably would have already begun his transition to firstbase. The best comp I can think of for Montero is a Victor Martinez-type player. He projects to have a very good bat, but not someone to catch every day. Even if he projected as an average to very good defender, which he does not, the Yankees would not turn their pitching staff over to a 22-year-old rookie catcher, anymore than they did back in the ’90s when they broke Posada in under Girardi.

Heading into 2012, expect Montero to backup Martin and catch between 30-40 games while DHing another 100-110 games. I wouldn’t be surprised if they also started giving him some reps at first to spell Teixeira for ten games or so. That way he’s playing 140+ games, mostly at DH, but still leaving 50-60 games open at DH to rotate in guys like A-Rod and Jeter, who will also be given another twenty games off each because of their age. That means Eduardo Nunez will be playing in at least half of the Yankees games come 2012, which is why I think he’s more valuable to the Yankees than Jurrjens, who I see as a back-end, injury prone starter in the AL East. They might as well re-sign Garcia or give some of their arms down in AAA a shot.

• anxovies - Nov 22, 2011 at 12:39 AM

Actually Romiro Pena has done pretty well in the utility role when he has been with the team, although I expect the Yankees to re-sign Eric Chavez to play 3rd and 1st. Nunez has a superior bat and will settle down on the field. He has proved to be a clutch hitter with some pop in the bigs. He had 18 doubles and 30 rbi in 300 AB last year.

9. uyf1950 - Nov 20, 2011 at 12:57 PM

It’s kind of funny so see how both/either Jurrjens or Nunez are perceived. I guess it all depends which side of the fence you’re on. Most fans who show a preference for the Braves would seem to believe that Jurrjens is much to good of a pitcher to trade for Nunez as the centerpiece of any deal. Most or at least many Yankees fans see Jurrjens as a good pitcher but one that has had injury issues the past 2 seasons and in 2010 and 2011 was limited to 20 and 23 starts respectively. They have also seen his strikeouts per 9 innings at a 4 year low in 2011. They have also seen where his ground ball rate has gone from 51.5% in 2008 to 42% in 2011 and for a right handed pitcher in Yankees Stadium that’s not good. As for Nunez, I’m sure many see an error prone utility IF (mainly SS) with very limited power. Where as I see and I’m sure many other Yankees fans see a young 24 year old with less than 150 games under his belt at the major league level. Who with some time and more importantly experience can be a very valuable asset to a team. And who will be very cost friendly to a team until he hits FA in 2017. Like I said I guess it just depends which side of the fence your on. BTW, I do think if the Yankees are interested in Jurrjens from the Braves they will have to sweeten the deal a bit, but probably not by as much as many Braves fans think. Just my opinion.

10. casey5jones - Nov 20, 2011 at 1:12 PM

Don’t get me wrong, 1950, I think Nunez IS on his way to being a really, really good player. However, unless there is an injury – which I do concede there probably will – to an infielder, he will sit in the bench for the next three to five years and by all measures go to waste.

Today, Prado would help the Yankees win more than Nunez would. And let’s face it, the Yanks aren’t in the business of waiting a year or two to win.

• uyf1950 - Nov 20, 2011 at 1:24 PM

My friend I don’t think the Yankees use of Nunez in 2012 and 2013 should he remain with the Yankees will be limited to just being inserted in case of “injury”. Keep in mind Jeter will be 38 this coming June and A-Rod 37 this coming July. Depending what the Yankees do as a back up for A-Rod be it Chavez or whoever I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see Nunez get a fair amount of AB’s in 2012 and even more come 2013 as the Yankees rest Jeter and A-Rod more and more trying to save them for the long season(s). That’s just my opinion. So I guess what I’m saying is I don’t necessarily agree with your assessment of Nunez possibly being wasted on the Yankees bench over the next 3 to 5 years, or let me say at least I hope he isn’t.

11. cur68 - Nov 20, 2011 at 2:27 PM

It be ugly when the veil of confusion that Sith Lord Anthopolus casts on opposing GM’s lifts. Somehow guys are convinced convinced that Gonzalez for Escobar is great idea.That Vernon Wells for actual baseball players is a good deal. That Mike Napoli isn’t much of a catcher. Mind you even a Sith Lord misjudges things, hence Rasmus thus far and letting Napoli go for not enough, but he does such awesome work otherwise I’ll forgive in light of his Frank Wren & Jerry Dipoto force-chokes.

I’d mention his inability to get the Beaver Men a closer as yet, but he finds my lack of faith disturbing.

12. hcf95688 - Nov 21, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Its a retro thing. They miss Rafael Ramirez.

13. purnellmeagrejr - Nov 21, 2011 at 8:29 AM

the HGH thread, the Pujols thing -Craig is seeing the ball good today.

14. randygnyc - Nov 21, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Nunez will only be traded for a mid-Level rotation pitcher. Yankees are in no hurry to trade him. He plays all three infield positions and can be used to spell jeter. I’d let him go for jurrjens, maybe.

Montero’s future with the club, IMO will only be as DH until he can be a center piece for a trade for a big name arm like king Felix or Josh Johnson.

15. foreverchipper10 - Nov 21, 2011 at 3:26 PM

I don’t like this talk of having to move Jurrjens or Hanson. I am ok with moving Jurrjens if it helps the team. We have the pitching in minors and no room on the current MLB roster. I do not, however, like the idea of unloading Hanson. The kid has great stuff and I know he had some injuries this year but he is going to be a very solid #2 if not an ace on most staffs. I just hope it remains this one.

16. anxovies - Nov 22, 2011 at 12:51 AM

If Nunez improves on the field he may be looked upon as a replacement for Jeter, who as somebody pointed out, will be 38 next year. I don’t think they will trade him this year or next. Also, remember that Jeter made 22 errors his first full year at SS. I think they look at Nunez to improve in the field and if he does he will be heir apparent.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3036)