Nov 20, 2011, 11:36 AM EST
An interesting read from Dan Le Batard in the Miami Herald about how the Marlins are going about — or at least appear to be going about — transforming the franchise. Going big and trying to establish a Latin brand.
Part of that, of course, is the pursuit, such as it is, of Albert Pujols. A pursuit that is as lukewarm as it is because of a small concern on the part of some in Miami’s front office:
The total dollars are in dispute, depending on whom you believe, but the number of years offered is not. Nine years. That’s insanity, especially since, like a lot of teams, the Marlins believe Pujols to be older than the 31 he claims to be.
This gets whispered about a lot. And I’ve never seen any more meat put on those bones than you see in one of those “that dude must be on steroids; look at this physique!” arguments.
Over at Baseball Musings, however, David Pinto makes a pretty simple and compelling case that Pujols’ career progression is totally in keeping with someone who is his stated age.
Call me back if there’s ever anything more to this. Until then, I don’t think it’s fair to make any assumptions about Pujols’ age.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)