Nov 20, 2011, 11:36 AM EDT
An interesting read from Dan Le Batard in the Miami Herald about how the Marlins are going about — or at least appear to be going about — transforming the franchise. Going big and trying to establish a Latin brand.
Part of that, of course, is the pursuit, such as it is, of Albert Pujols. A pursuit that is as lukewarm as it is because of a small concern on the part of some in Miami’s front office:
The total dollars are in dispute, depending on whom you believe, but the number of years offered is not. Nine years. That’s insanity, especially since, like a lot of teams, the Marlins believe Pujols to be older than the 31 he claims to be.
This gets whispered about a lot. And I’ve never seen any more meat put on those bones than you see in one of those “that dude must be on steroids; look at this physique!” arguments.
Over at Baseball Musings, however, David Pinto makes a pretty simple and compelling case that Pujols’ career progression is totally in keeping with someone who is his stated age.
Call me back if there’s ever anything more to this. Until then, I don’t think it’s fair to make any assumptions about Pujols’ age.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 23
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 205
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (205)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)