Nov 20, 2011, 12:32 PM EST
Today, Jeff Passan reports:
Bobby Valentine expects to meet with Red Sox GM Ben Cherington on Monday. Could emerge as favorite for manager if meeting goes well.
Interesting, because the other day the Boston Herald wrote:
Bobby Valentine has been a candidate for the Red Sox manager job from the early stages of the team’s search process, a club source said yesterday. Valentine was one of the first people interviewed by general manager Ben Cherington
Hmm. Interesting that Valentine’s candidacy depends on a good meeting with Cherington when he already interviewed with Cherington.
Or — and call me crazy — someone in the Sox front office was pulling the Herald’s chain the other day and was trying to make it look as though ownership didn’t totally undercut Cherington by injecting Valentine into the situation when Cherington was interviewing a totally different sort of candidate slate.
Insane. I know.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)