Nov 21, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT
I once took and passed the test for the talent search but they never called me to be on the show. One person there suggested that I wasn’t going to do very well on television because I fidgeted with the buzzer too much in the audition. The producers at NBC SportsTalk can decide if they know more than the “Jeopardy!” people on that score, but they do tell me I talk with my hands too much. Damn.
Anyway, I only bring all of this up because some guy did really, really well on “Jeopardy!” recently, and he credited “Moneyball” for his success:
“It wasn’t even about the money,” Craig says. “I felt that my systems and my methods were sort of validated.”
That system? A computer program unlike any other, custom-built to study Jeopardy! for patterns.
Craig says it works like Moneyball — a reference to the book and movie about the statistical techniques used by legendary Oakland Athletics coach Billy Beane to build a winning baseball team. Craig’s system also relied heavily on statistics.
Trivia hounds today. Stuck in their mother’s basement. If they’d get their heads out of a spreadsheet and compete in a quiz bowl once in a while ….
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)