Nov 21, 2011, 9:26 AM EDT
I once took and passed the test for the talent search but they never called me to be on the show. One person there suggested that I wasn’t going to do very well on television because I fidgeted with the buzzer too much in the audition. The producers at NBC SportsTalk can decide if they know more than the “Jeopardy!” people on that score, but they do tell me I talk with my hands too much. Damn.
Anyway, I only bring all of this up because some guy did really, really well on “Jeopardy!” recently, and he credited “Moneyball” for his success:
“It wasn’t even about the money,” Craig says. “I felt that my systems and my methods were sort of validated.”
That system? A computer program unlike any other, custom-built to study Jeopardy! for patterns.
Craig says it works like Moneyball — a reference to the book and movie about the statistical techniques used by legendary Oakland Athletics coach Billy Beane to build a winning baseball team. Craig’s system also relied heavily on statistics.
Trivia hounds today. Stuck in their mother’s basement. If they’d get their heads out of a spreadsheet and compete in a quiz bowl once in a while ….
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 333
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 72
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 45
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (334)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)