Nov 21, 2011, 2:44 PM EDT
If the Rangers move Neftali Feliz into the rotation they could simply turn closing duties over to Mike Adams, but T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com writes that another possibility is reuniting with Frank Francisco.
Last offseason the Rangers traded Francisco to the Blue Jays for Mike Napoli, which worked out pretty damn well for Texas. According to Sullivan they’ve “expressed interest” in bringing him back as a free agent, but only for a one- or two-year contract.
He can’t be counted on for more than 50 or 60 innings, but over the past four seasons Francisco has a 3.54 ERA, 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings, and a .226 opponents’ batting average while averaging 94.1 miles per hour with his fastball. He’s yet to cement his status as an “established closer” but he’s certainly plenty capable.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 29
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 3
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 55
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)