Reds talking to A’s about deal for closer Andrew Bailey

Nov 21, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Andrew Bailey Getty Images

Cincinnati is preparing for Francisco Cordero‘s departure via free agency by talking to Oakland about closer Andrew Bailey, according to Buster Olney of ESPN.com.

Earlier this month there were reports about the A’s shopping nearly everyone on the roster as they wait to hear back about the likelihood of a new ballpark. That apparently includes Gio Gonzalez, who’s one of the few pieces on the team more valuable than Bailey.

Olney doesn’t mention any players the A’s are asking for in return, but Yonder Alonso would be a pretty good guess.

Bailey has been sidelined by injuries in each of the past two seasons, but the former Rookie of the Year winner has posted ERAs of 1.84, 1.47, and 3.24 in his three seasons and is under team control through 2014.

1. danielwold - Nov 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM

yes, lets shop Andrew Bailey and get 3 unknown prospects so nobody can recognize any players on the A’s

• Kevin S. - Nov 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

If they actually got Yonder Alonso, they should drive Bailey to Cincinnati themselves.

Jocketty isn’t that dumb, is he?

• cintiphil - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Yonder is much more valuable that Bailey. He is a star in the making, if they can just improve his fielding. He is a legit 30 HR and .300 potential hitter.

2. missthemexpos - Nov 21, 2011 at 11:14 AM

Is it time for the A’s to move to San Jose? I think all those empty seats in the background of Bailey pitching is a big time Yes.

3. metalhead65 - Nov 21, 2011 at 11:55 AM

yea what a great move by the reds! give up their best prospect for injury plagued pitcher. with the way dusty uses pitchers he will be on dl the day after the trade. well at least he won’t be a past his prime former card that walt loves so much.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:14 PM

So he’ll be injured in November or December? I agree this would be a horrible trade if Yonder was included especially if its 1 for 1.

You do realize your whole “Dusty ruins pitchers” isn’t true just because someone else said it was, right? Prior and Wood had issues with their delivery and that had nothing to do with Dusty. It was either you or another Reds fan on here a week ago who sadly tried to blame Aaron Harang’s issues on Dusty. That couldn’t have anything to do with exhaustion and the type of pitcher he is vs the ballpark he was in could it? I mean he did pitch far better in San Diego…. It was either you or that same Reds fan who tried to blame Dusty for Volquez. Volquez had issues in Texas. So unless Dusty owns a time machine you can’t blame Dusty for every issue a pitcher has.

Other things factor in besides who their manager is during the injury. Their workout, their past, etc etc.

I’m not a Dusty fan or hater but if you’re gonna hate please hate with facts.

This board often makes me feel like my fellow Reds fans are among the most uneducated in baseball. I rarely see myself agree with any fellow Reds fans. They seem to think Jay Bruce is God himself and that Joey Votto should be traded.

But back on point. I’m not a fan of a Yonder for Bailey trade. I’d want more from the A’s.

• metalhead65 - Nov 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM

please show me where harrang had any injury issues before dusty used him for 3 innings of relief work 2 days after his start then sent him back out to pitch again on his regular scheduled start? from that point on he was never the same pitcher for the reds. sure petco played a part in his success this year but before dusty he was the reds most dependable pitcher and not injured. what about Cueto? a young hard throwing pitcher who had injury issues last year. as for volquez I am not blaming dusty for him sucking but was he injury prone with the rangers? he had a great first third of a season with the reds but blew out his arm his second year and has had no control since. chapman had all kinds of injury problems last year also. another young flame throwing pitcher also. everybody but you can see a pattern here. part of the reds pitching problems are that dusty does not know how to use pitchers. how many games did he cost the reds last year sending guys back out for 1 more inning when it was obvious to everyone but dusty that they had nothing left then watch them propmptly give up the go ahead or winning runs right away before taking them out?

4. APBA Guy - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM

This reminds me a little of when Houston Street left to go to the Rockies. He was traded ,along with Cargo and Greg Smith, to the Rockies for Matt Holliday. Holliday was sent, after several unimpressive months, to St Louis for Clay Mortensen, Brett Wallace, and Shane Peterson. Wallace was traded to Toronto for Michael Taylor.

So bottom line, the A’s traded a quality reliever and a future star outfielder for a AAAA major league prospect 1B/DH type.

I hope the A’s can get Yonder Alonso for Bailey. But I fear they’ll get fleeced again by their own inability to judge offensive talent.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:16 PM

I hope the A’s get fleeced!

5. cintiphil - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:02 PM

Bailey is not worth Yonder straight up, so, there has to be more to this trade. However, as good an he is at bat, Yonder is that awful in the field. Who knows if he can improve his fielding? I know from watching him, that he will lose as many games in the field that he wins with the bat. Saying that, it may be too soon to give up on him, and trade for a guy you really can’t use. The Reds have plenty of guys who could be another Cordero, but then, who says that Cordero is washed up?

• brucewaynewins - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:12 PM

This has nothing to do with Cordero being washed up. As Jockety said the price of free agent closers are too high for their remaining budget to fill the remaining spots.

• cintiphil - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Why then go after Bailey, with all of the potential talent the Reds have in relief pitchers? The have Logan and Chapman and others who could fill in as closer. they don’t NEED Bailey. Why throw away a potential star like Yonder on a guy who may or may not be used?

• brucewaynewins - Nov 21, 2011 at 2:15 PM

Ask Walt. He said himself (you can find it in his own words on Jon Fay’s blog) that closers will be too expensive for free agency. They were close to a deal with Cordero but not close enough.

He said they would be more active in trades than in free agency. This tells me they are restricting the budget to save as much as possible this season to put towards keeping Phillip’s and Votto.

Otherwise it’s like 1 goes and the other stays. Billy Hamilton may be major league ready in 2013 and that could impact this whole situation.

6. cintiphil - Nov 21, 2011 at 3:34 PM

They have paid enough for Chapman. If he can’t start, then he can close, if Ondrusek or Cordero will not. I almost forgot Masset.

7. contraryguy - Nov 21, 2011 at 4:56 PM

cintiphil, you should forget Masset. Chapman’s the guy IF he can find the strike zone. Ondrusek… please.

• metalhead65 - Nov 21, 2011 at 7:07 PM

ondrusek spent time on the dl last year with arm trouble to but I am sure dusty had nothing to do with that either right brucewayne?

• brucewaynewins - Nov 21, 2011 at 10:52 PM

So are you gonna blame all pitchers injuries on Dusty? Dusty is fully responsible for all them?

Do you also believe we never landed on the moon and that Elvis is alive in a retirement home with Hitler?

I have some beach front property in Arizona next to the Reds spring training facility. I’ll sell it to you.

• metalhead65 - Nov 21, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I will keep blaming him as long as you keep saying he has nothing to do with them. still waiting for you to show me where I am on wrong on harrang. since you can’t guess I will be waiting a long time. as for the leaving the pitchers in to long again show me where I am wrong. if you watched or listened to reds games this year you saw it. there is no disputing it,if a guy who had never gone more than 5 went 6 he was sent out to the 7th where he promptly blew the lead and then crusty would take him out but not before everyone on base had scored.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I didn’t know I needed to provide you with further proof. I’m pretty someone else who you responded to you’re accusations on an article a week or two ago did that for us all. I added a few tidbits above. There was an article by either Jon Fay or someone on here basically disagreeing with you.

Look nothing is gonna convince you. Someone told you Dusty is bad for pitchers so you believed it. They didn’t provide you solid concrete proof and you didn’t ask for it. You only ask for it of someone who disagrees with you. You’re mind is made up and its useless to try and prove you wrong because people have on here and you then either ignore it, disagree, or bring up another pitcher. If that thought process is to be held true by you then you must blame every manager ever who has ever had a pitcher injured under his watch.

Its obvious we’re never going to see eye to eye on this. I’m not one to jump to conclusions and buy into everything I read from a writer as solid fact unless I see proof. I also prefer to read both sides before making my mind up.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet