Nov 21, 2011, 6:06 AM EDT
We’ve heard the Marlins connected with all manner of free agents. But how a trade rumor? Here’s one: Miami is talking with the Athletics about Gio Gonzalez
David Villavicencio is the man with this report, and he says that sources close to Gonzalez are telling him that the two teams are talking trade for the lefty. It’s not clear from the report that a deal is imminent, but Villavicencio reports that three different players have been discussed as potential pieces for the deal and that all three “played significant time with the Marlins last season.” Not all three would be part of a potential trade.
Such a trade would make all kinds of sense for everyone involved. The A’s are — as always — looking to get a lot of talent in return for someone they soon won’t be able to afford, and Gonzalez is worth a boatload on the trade market right now. Meanwhile the Marlins, despite playing footsie with Albert Pujols and Jose Reyes, really need starting pitching, and Gonzalez would upgrade the rotation in major fashion.
Oh, and let us not forget: the Marlins are all about building a strong local brand, and Gonzalez is a Miami native.
Stay tuned to this one. Because even if the Marlins aren’t ready to pull the trigger on this, there are any number of teams who would like to get in on the Athletics selling off their best pitcher.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29