Trade for Ty Wigginton won’t keep Phillies from pursuing Michael Cuddyer

Nov 21, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT

cuddyer getty Getty Images

Last night the Phillies sent a player to be named later to the Rockies for Ty Wigginton, but general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com that acquiring Wigginton’s right-handed bat “really doesn’t have anything to do with what I may do in the outfield or infield.”

In other words, Wigginton won’t stop the Phillies from continuing to pursue Michael Cuddyer.

Which makes sense, because while useful in the right circumstances Wigginton is nowhere near the hitter that Cuddyer is and with the Rockies paying half of his $4 million salary for 2012 his addition doesn’t have a big impact on the Phillies’ payroll anyway.

Amaro explained that he views Wigginton as mostly a bench player, although he could be used in a bigger role depending on Ryan Howard‘s recovery from a torn Achilles’ tendon and Placido Polanco‘s performance at third base.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:21 PM

All this move means is that Michael Martinez won’t be on the opening day roster. I am fine with that.

• Jonny 5 - Nov 21, 2011 at 12:47 PM

lol…. You heard they kept Orr too right?

• drmonkeyarmy - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, as a minor league FA though. He is better than Martinez in my book.

• drunkenhooliganism - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:38 PM

I kinda liked Michael Martinez. I liked his positional flexibility. He seemed to have a good attitude for a young player. decent speed. decent glove at 2B, 3B, SS and CF. I thought it was a good pickup, and he would contribute to the phillies for several years.

Then I found out he was 29 and realized I wasn’t seeing potential, I was seeing peak performance.

2. mikedi33 - Nov 21, 2011 at 1:52 PM

I disagree. To me they both fill the same role. The Phils don’t need 2 defensely challenged players especially with Thome being limited. I think that with the luxury tax staying at 178 mil , this is where amaro saves a few bucks. All they need now is a lh outfielder and it would not suprise me of it is Ibanez

3. karaterobot - Nov 21, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Shush up, Gleeman. Cuddy needs to stay in Minnesota, or we will have the most boring, staid, unlikeable team since Mike Tice’s Vikings.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey