Nov 22, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Not long after ESPN’s Buster Olney mentioned earlier tonight that the Angels have “intensified their search for a catcher,” did Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com report that the Reds’ Ryan Hanigan is one potential trade target.
Hanigan, 31, batted .267/.356/.357 with six home runs, 31 RBI and a .714 OPS over 304 plate appearances this season while throwing out 35 percent of would-be basestealers. He signed a three-year, $4 million extension with the Reds in February, covering his first two years of arbitration, and is under team control though 2014.
Rosenthal writes that the Reds could re-sign free agent catcher Ramon Hernandez if they deal Hanigan, but chances are he would likely only serve as a short-term bridge for prospects Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal. The 35-year-old could find a more attractive multi-year offer elsewhere, especially now that he’s been downgraded to a Type B free agent as a result of MLB’s new CBA agreement.
As of now, the Angels have Hank Conger, Bobby Wilson and Jeff Mathis on their 40-man roster, though the latter is considered a non-tender candidate. With that out of the way, feel free to leave your best Mike Napoli jokes in our comments section.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 42
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)