Nov 22, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Not long after ESPN’s Buster Olney mentioned earlier tonight that the Angels have “intensified their search for a catcher,” did Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com report that the Reds’ Ryan Hanigan is one potential trade target.
Hanigan, 31, batted .267/.356/.357 with six home runs, 31 RBI and a .714 OPS over 304 plate appearances this season while throwing out 35 percent of would-be basestealers. He signed a three-year, $4 million extension with the Reds in February, covering his first two years of arbitration, and is under team control though 2014.
Rosenthal writes that the Reds could re-sign free agent catcher Ramon Hernandez if they deal Hanigan, but chances are he would likely only serve as a short-term bridge for prospects Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal. The 35-year-old could find a more attractive multi-year offer elsewhere, especially now that he’s been downgraded to a Type B free agent as a result of MLB’s new CBA agreement.
As of now, the Angels have Hank Conger, Bobby Wilson and Jeff Mathis on their 40-man roster, though the latter is considered a non-tender candidate. With that out of the way, feel free to leave your best Mike Napoli jokes in our comments section.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)