Nov 22, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
Not long after ESPN’s Buster Olney mentioned earlier tonight that the Angels have “intensified their search for a catcher,” did Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com report that the Reds’ Ryan Hanigan is one potential trade target.
Hanigan, 31, batted .267/.356/.357 with six home runs, 31 RBI and a .714 OPS over 304 plate appearances this season while throwing out 35 percent of would-be basestealers. He signed a three-year, $4 million extension with the Reds in February, covering his first two years of arbitration, and is under team control though 2014.
Rosenthal writes that the Reds could re-sign free agent catcher Ramon Hernandez if they deal Hanigan, but chances are he would likely only serve as a short-term bridge for prospects Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal. The 35-year-old could find a more attractive multi-year offer elsewhere, especially now that he’s been downgraded to a Type B free agent as a result of MLB’s new CBA agreement.
As of now, the Angels have Hank Conger, Bobby Wilson and Jeff Mathis on their 40-man roster, though the latter is considered a non-tender candidate. With that out of the way, feel free to leave your best Mike Napoli jokes in our comments section.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 5
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 99
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 17
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 28
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 31
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 85
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (99)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)