Angels picking up search for catcher, target Reds’ Ryan Hanigan

Nov 22, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT

Ryan Hanigan AP AP

Not long after ESPN’s Buster Olney mentioned earlier tonight that the Angels have “intensified their search for a catcher,” did Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com report that the Reds’ Ryan Hanigan is one potential trade target.

Hanigan, 31, batted .267/.356/.357 with six home runs, 31 RBI and a .714 OPS over 304 plate appearances this season while throwing out 35 percent of would-be basestealers. He signed a three-year, $4 million extension with the Reds in February, covering his first two years of arbitration, and is under team control though 2014.

Rosenthal writes that the Reds could re-sign free agent catcher Ramon Hernandez if they deal Hanigan, but chances are he would likely only serve as a short-term bridge for prospects Devin Mesoraco and Yasmani Grandal. The 35-year-old could find a more attractive multi-year offer elsewhere, especially now that he’s been downgraded to a Type B free agent as a result of MLB’s new CBA agreement.

As of now, the Angels have Hank Conger, Bobby Wilson and Jeff Mathis on their 40-man roster, though the latter is considered a non-tender candidate. With that out of the way, feel free to leave your best Mike Napoli jokes in our comments section.

1. robertterwilliger - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:09 PM

who needs a catcher? they have napoli!

/guywhoisayearbehindinbaseballnews

• yankeesgameday - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:14 PM

Damn you. Beat me to it.

• CJ - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:43 PM

it’s ok, if it weren’t for trading Napoli, they wouldn’t have Wells. He’s a stud

/guywhois5yearsbehindinbaseballnews

2. JBerardi - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:42 PM

“With that out of the way, feel free to leave your best Mike Napoli jokes in our comments section.”

Uhh…. Mike Napoli is good.

• CJ - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Which is why the joke is on the Angels for giving him away for an overpaid guy no one else wanted. If they’d have kept him they wouldn’t have Wells and wouldn’t need a catcher.

3. The Common Man - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM

Of course they are. Anything to keep from playing Conger. Dear Minnesota Twins, trade for him now.

4. theonlynolan - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:12 AM

Strange that Scioscia has an excellent reputation as a manager and was a good catcher in his day but is completely unable to evaluate the talent at the catcher position on his team. Mike you don’t need another catcher. Just keep running Mathis out there day after day. Seriously you’re doing great.

5. humanexcrement - Nov 23, 2011 at 1:26 AM

If only they had a catcher…like maybe a guy who wasn’t great defensively, but could hit a ton. There aren’t a lot of good catchers out there, sometimes you have to settle for that. A guy like Mike…what was his name…plays for the Rangers…can’t remember…

6. thehollar - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:58 AM

Mike Napoli walks into a bar and says “Get me a starting catching job. And also a beer.”
    The bartender says ” You clearly can’t catch for reasons that escape me, no matter how good a hitter you are. And we don’t serve beer here.”
    Napoli says “Please explain your reasoning. And what do you serve?”
    Bartender says “I refuse to do that, but if you go sit on that bench over there, I can serve you a Jeff Mathis.”
    Napoli says “What’s in a Jeff Mathis?”
    Bartender says “Three parts Gary Matthews Jr., two parts Vernon Wells’ ability to catch, three parts Evan Grant’s lack of accountability, and fifteen parts Mike Scioscia’s fantasies featuring Jeff Mathis.”
    Napoli says “That sounds like a bad dream I had in drink form.”
    Bartender says “That was no dream. Those were your cost-controlled years.”
    Napoli says “I will lay waste to the AL West with my vengeance!”
    Bartender says “About that…. Have a beer.”

• The Common Man - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM

That was awesome.

7. cintiphil - Nov 23, 2011 at 9:59 AM

This is one area where the Reds are very fortunate. No one has the prospects that the Reds have behind the plate. The problem is which one to keep. I personally like Hernandez, but Hanigan is good enough to play every day. However, the only thing these two guys can do it hold on to the position until Mesoraco is ready to play every day in the bigs. I haven’t seen Grandal play, but Mesoraco is the real deal. He is the best catcher to come along since Bench. I will be surprised if he doesn’t make it big time, but strange things happen. It would be to the Angels advantage to go after Hanigan hard, because the Reds can afford to deal at the position. And, I know nothing about Wells, but Napoil is a great versatile first base/ catcher.

• brucewaynewins - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

I love Hanigan but I’ve always felt he’d go before Mesoraco. Mesoraco has potential for a better bat. Yasmandi Grandal being Cuban seems like the least likely to be traded because he can speak to Chapman and others. I’m not sure if Hanigan or Mesoraco speak Spanish.

8. cintiphil - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:54 AM

I think that is what I was saying. Mesoraco is going to be the next full time catcher, until he shows he can’t do the job. However, he has a great chance to be the best in the league, especially with the bat. He may need a season to get a little more experience before you get rid of the two guys they have now. I think I would go with the best player, not language.

9. theduuuuuuuuuude - Nov 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Look at Napoli’s numbers before the Angels traded him. Hindsight is always 20/20

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet