Nov 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
General manager Ben Cherington announced yesterday that the Red Sox and international scouting director Craig Shipley are parting ways after the former big leaguer spent nine years in the organization.
Last February the Red Sox promoted Shipley to senior vice president of player personnel and international scouting and at various points during his time with the team he’s been mentioned as a possible GM down the road, but his status clearly changed significantly once Theo Epstein left.
Cherington predictably didn’t shed much light on the reasons for Shipley’s departure, but did tell Ian Browne of MLB.com:
He’s someone that I have great respect for. He’s a really good evaluator, passionate baseball guy. Through the course of conversations with him, it just became clear to me that it might be time for a fresh start. So, that’s the direction we’re going. I wish him nothing but the best.
Shipley played a big part in the Red Sox signing Japanese pitchers Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima, and Alex Speier of WEEI.com writes that he “was an influential voice in pushing ahead to make the deal that brought Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell to Boston, even at the cost of star prospect Hanley Ramirez and big league starter Anibal Sanchez.”
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 32
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 46
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 26
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)