Nov 22, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
The other day I was minding my own business when Sam Miller of the Orange County Register and Baseball Prospectus Im’d me and asked me if I knew Juan Gonzalez’s nickname. I said “sure, Juan Gone.” He said “know any others?” I said “no, should I?” He said “thanks.” I probably should have known Sam was up to something.
That something is a pretty brilliant takedown of the ridiculous brochure that is making the rounds pumping up Gonzalez’s Hall of Fame candidacy. A brochure which repeatedly refers to him as “Igor” as if anyone ever called him that ever. I mean, sure, someone did someplace, but it never stuck among baseball fans. If that’s all it takes to claim a nickname I would have sent out brochures calling myself “Flapjack” or “Hi-top” or “T-bone” years ago.
Anyway, brilliant piece by Sam which should remind PR professionals that sometimes (read: every time) less is more. And nothing is often preferable.
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 0
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 88
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 13
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 54
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 13
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)