Must-click link: Breaking down Juan Gonzalez’s Hall of Fame brochure

Nov 22, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT

Juan Gonzalez AP

The other day I was minding my own business when Sam Miller of the Orange County Register and Baseball Prospectus Im’d me and asked me if I knew Juan Gonzalez’s nickname. I said “sure, Juan Gone.”  He said “know any others?”  I said “no, should I?”  He said “thanks.”  I probably should have known Sam was up to something.

That something is a pretty brilliant takedown of the ridiculous brochure that is making the rounds pumping up Gonzalez’s Hall of Fame candidacy.  A brochure which repeatedly refers to him as “Igor” as if anyone ever called him that ever. I mean, sure, someone did someplace, but it never stuck among baseball fans.  If that’s all it takes to claim a nickname I would have sent out brochures calling myself “Flapjack” or “Hi-top” or “T-bone” years ago.

Anyway, brilliant piece by Sam which should remind PR professionals that sometimes (read: every time) less is more. And nothing is often preferable.

1. shaggylocks - Nov 22, 2011 at 9:52 AM

That’s a sweet article by Miller. Thanks for pointing us in that direction, Flapjack!

• thekcubrats - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:17 AM

A simple check on the intertubes would let one know, Calc, that he called himself Igor, signed bats and balls with it, that Sp. language media knows it, that his fans (are they any left?) knew it, that the fans of his various teams knew it, that his teammates called him that, etc. I watched a lot of the A’s in his day, and whenever he faced them, the announcers referred to it, so yeah, it was his nickname, too.

• ebeck71 - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I have to agree with cubrats… Igor was a well known nickname of Juans ever since his days as a Rangers. I’ve been a Ranger fan since the early 80’s and followed him all through hsi career. During his at bats while with Texas, “IGOR” would be flashed acrossed the Jumbotron/scoreboard of its time….

Any true Ranger fan would know him by Igor, and I would also think that depending upon how much you followed AL ball back in the 90’s you would have been made aware of it as well.

Either way… great article. As much as I like Igor, I dont think his numbers are Hall Of Fame caliber…. but that doesnt mean he wasnt a great great player.

2. acheron2112 - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:07 AM

From now on, you will be known as… Koko the Monkey.

• wfon1 - Jan 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

jajajajajajajajajajajajajajaja.

3. edog623 - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM

Hey T-Bone, did you notice that two of his kids have “Igor” in their names? “Juan Igor” and “Igor Jr.” Are you going to have a kid name “Craig T-Bone?”

4. giselleisasucubus - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:15 AM

wasnt this guy a roid head?

5. philliesblow - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:16 AM

The Igor nick name was just truth in advertising. It stood for “I Got Over ‘Roided”

6. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:23 AM

The comments between the intern and editor are awesome. Haven’t read much of Sam Miller, definitely going to start doing it more now.

oh and btw:

Sam Miller of the Orange County Register and Baseball Prospectus Im’d me

Instant messaged you? Did he later send an email to your compuserve email address or was it a prodigy account? Maybe he paged you :)

• Alex K - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM

That is exactly how a name drop should be done….in 1999.

7. Kevin S. - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:36 AM

I’m just starting to read the brochure, but if I was a prospective voter who knew absolutely nothing about Juan Gone’s career or statistics I’d probably reject his candidacy simply because it lists among his endorsements “respected” writers Jon Heyman and Bill Conlin.

8. Kevin S. - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:45 AM

How did he lead the league in HR at 43 while becoming the sixth player to hit 46 HR in a season before his 24th birthday in the same year?

9. Chris Fiorentino - Nov 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Ryan Howard had a pretty bad year getting on base last year and his OBP was STILL 3 points higher than Juan Gonzalez’s CAREER OBP. There is no way in hell this guy should even get the prerequisite 5% to stay on the ballot past one year. None.

• Alex K - Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Welcome back, Chris!

10. humanexcrement - Nov 22, 2011 at 12:27 PM

The thing is, he played in an era when NO ONE gave a shit about OBP. Not the players, not managers, not the fans, and not reporters. Nobody in the 90s cared about taking walks, so it’s really not fair to criticize him for that. Gonzalez was exactly what people wanted in the 90s–a power-hitting middle of the lineup guy. The reason the moneyball thing started was because small-market teams couldn’t AFFORD guys like that.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Nov 22, 2011 at 12:53 PM

Just because they weren’t looking for it didn’t mean it wasn’t valuable though.

• paperlions - Nov 22, 2011 at 1:06 PM

Everyone always gave a shit about not making outs. EVERYONE! Did you not play little league when people constantly changed “walk’s as good as a hit”?

Everyone in baseball has always known how important it was to not make outs.

11. Walk - Nov 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM

Wow somebody get that writer a warcraft account. Point him at the rogue and tell him to EVISCERATE, that was a pretty awesome piece of roasting. Totally hammered the brochure but stayed on point and on topic.

12. elmostroboricua - Nov 23, 2011 at 6:21 PM

IF YOU HAD ANY KNOWLEDGE OF PUERTO RICO, YOU WOULD KNOW THAT IGOR WAS HIS NICKNAME OVER THERE. EVEN HIS TEAMATES KNEW HIM LIKE THAT…

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate