Nov 22, 2011, 9:45 AM EST
The other day I was minding my own business when Sam Miller of the Orange County Register and Baseball Prospectus Im’d me and asked me if I knew Juan Gonzalez’s nickname. I said “sure, Juan Gone.” He said “know any others?” I said “no, should I?” He said “thanks.” I probably should have known Sam was up to something.
That something is a pretty brilliant takedown of the ridiculous brochure that is making the rounds pumping up Gonzalez’s Hall of Fame candidacy. A brochure which repeatedly refers to him as “Igor” as if anyone ever called him that ever. I mean, sure, someone did someplace, but it never stuck among baseball fans. If that’s all it takes to claim a nickname I would have sent out brochures calling myself “Flapjack” or “Hi-top” or “T-bone” years ago.
Anyway, brilliant piece by Sam which should remind PR professionals that sometimes (read: every time) less is more. And nothing is often preferable.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)