Nov 22, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
The other day I was minding my own business when Sam Miller of the Orange County Register and Baseball Prospectus Im’d me and asked me if I knew Juan Gonzalez’s nickname. I said “sure, Juan Gone.” He said “know any others?” I said “no, should I?” He said “thanks.” I probably should have known Sam was up to something.
That something is a pretty brilliant takedown of the ridiculous brochure that is making the rounds pumping up Gonzalez’s Hall of Fame candidacy. A brochure which repeatedly refers to him as “Igor” as if anyone ever called him that ever. I mean, sure, someone did someplace, but it never stuck among baseball fans. If that’s all it takes to claim a nickname I would have sent out brochures calling myself “Flapjack” or “Hi-top” or “T-bone” years ago.
Anyway, brilliant piece by Sam which should remind PR professionals that sometimes (read: every time) less is more. And nothing is often preferable.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 22
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 34
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 30
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 39
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)