Nov 22, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
The other day I was minding my own business when Sam Miller of the Orange County Register and Baseball Prospectus Im’d me and asked me if I knew Juan Gonzalez’s nickname. I said “sure, Juan Gone.” He said “know any others?” I said “no, should I?” He said “thanks.” I probably should have known Sam was up to something.
That something is a pretty brilliant takedown of the ridiculous brochure that is making the rounds pumping up Gonzalez’s Hall of Fame candidacy. A brochure which repeatedly refers to him as “Igor” as if anyone ever called him that ever. I mean, sure, someone did someplace, but it never stuck among baseball fans. If that’s all it takes to claim a nickname I would have sent out brochures calling myself “Flapjack” or “Hi-top” or “T-bone” years ago.
Anyway, brilliant piece by Sam which should remind PR professionals that sometimes (read: every time) less is more. And nothing is often preferable.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)