Nov 22, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Last week Grady Sizemore was to be putting negotiations with other teams on hold in an effort to work out a deal with the Indians and now Nick Camino of 1100-WTAM in Cleveland reports that the two sides have agreed to a contract.
According to Camino an official announcement “will happen by tonight or tomorrow.”
No word yet on the contract terms, but presumably it’s an incentive-laden one-year deal or perhaps a one-year deal with an option for 2013.
Cleveland made Sizemore a free agent by declining his $8.5 million option, choosing a $500,000 buyout instead, so for the new deal to make sense for the Indians it would seemingly have to either be for less than $8 million or include a reasonable second-year option.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)