Nov 22, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
Last week Grady Sizemore was to be putting negotiations with other teams on hold in an effort to work out a deal with the Indians and now Nick Camino of 1100-WTAM in Cleveland reports that the two sides have agreed to a contract.
According to Camino an official announcement “will happen by tonight or tomorrow.”
No word yet on the contract terms, but presumably it’s an incentive-laden one-year deal or perhaps a one-year deal with an option for 2013.
Cleveland made Sizemore a free agent by declining his $8.5 million option, choosing a $500,000 buyout instead, so for the new deal to make sense for the Indians it would seemingly have to either be for less than $8 million or include a reasonable second-year option.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)