Nov 22, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
This makes a lot of sense given how thin the free agent pitching market is. Garza had a 3.32 ERA and 197/63 K/BB ratio in 198 innings this year. He’s only a second-year arbitration-eligible player and he made just under $6 million last year. That will earn him a fairly large raise, but he won’t be overpaid by any stretch.
No one on the Cubs roster with the exception of Starlin Castro should be safe. Hoyer and Epstein should take offers on anyone they can.
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 14
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 41
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15