Nov 22, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
This makes a lot of sense given how thin the free agent pitching market is. Garza had a 3.32 ERA and 197/63 K/BB ratio in 198 innings this year. He’s only a second-year arbitration-eligible player and he made just under $6 million last year. That will earn him a fairly large raise, but he won’t be overpaid by any stretch.
No one on the Cubs roster with the exception of Starlin Castro should be safe. Hoyer and Epstein should take offers on anyone they can.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 26
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 27
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)