Nov 22, 2011, 11:33 AM EST
This makes a lot of sense given how thin the free agent pitching market is. Garza had a 3.32 ERA and 197/63 K/BB ratio in 198 innings this year. He’s only a second-year arbitration-eligible player and he made just under $6 million last year. That will earn him a fairly large raise, but he won’t be overpaid by any stretch.
No one on the Cubs roster with the exception of Starlin Castro should be safe. Hoyer and Epstein should take offers on anyone they can.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)