Nov 22, 2011, 11:33 AM EDT
This makes a lot of sense given how thin the free agent pitching market is. Garza had a 3.32 ERA and 197/63 K/BB ratio in 198 innings this year. He’s only a second-year arbitration-eligible player and he made just under $6 million last year. That will earn him a fairly large raise, but he won’t be overpaid by any stretch.
No one on the Cubs roster with the exception of Starlin Castro should be safe. Hoyer and Epstein should take offers on anyone they can.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)