Nov 22, 2011, 3:08 PM EDT
There are so many details of the new collective bargaining agreement spinning out this afternoon in various reports and tweets that it’s probably useful to have a link to a full outline of the new deal. Here is that outline, courtesy of MLB.com.
One of the interesting items: a nod to the recent push, signed on by U.S. Senators and public health officials, to have baseball ban smokeless tobacco use among players. But it was just a nod. It won’t be banned entirely, but baseball is wanting to get it out of sight as much as it can without actually taking it out of players’ mouths:
Players, managers, and coaches will be prohibited from using smokeless tobacco during televised interviews and Club appearances. In addition, at any time when fans are permitted in the ballpark, players, managers and coaches must conceal tobacco products (including packages and tins), and may not carry tobacco products in their uniforms or on their bodies. Individuals who violate the policy will be subject to discipline. The parties also agreed upon an extensive program of education and public outreach regarding the dangers of smokeless tobacco.
So you can still dip, just don’t have the can in your back pocket. Which is basically the exact opposite of the rule from my high school in West Virginia. They didn’t enforce it that much though. I’ll be curious to see how much MLB enforces this new rule.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 21
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 20
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)