Nov 23, 2011, 1:07 PM EDT
Everyone in Washington Nationals Natio –er, Land, er District — is eagerly anticipating the debut of Bryce Harper. Hopefully as soon as next season. But as Mark Zukerman notes, that debut could be delayed a but due to some changes in baseball’s new collective bargaining agreement:
What am I referring to? The decision to increase the percentage of players who are classified as “Super Two’s” in baseball’s arbitration system … were almost always safe in past years waiting until late-May or early-June before promoting top prospects. Now, though, that cut-off date will be pushed ahead, perhaps several weeks. Which means GMs are probably going to have to wait until early-to-late June if they want to ensure their top prospects don’t qualify as Super Twos.
I suppose everyone will live Harper makes the bigs in June instead of May. Somehow.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)