Nov 23, 2011, 1:07 PM EST
Everyone in Washington Nationals Natio –er, Land, er District — is eagerly anticipating the debut of Bryce Harper. Hopefully as soon as next season. But as Mark Zukerman notes, that debut could be delayed a but due to some changes in baseball’s new collective bargaining agreement:
What am I referring to? The decision to increase the percentage of players who are classified as “Super Two’s” in baseball’s arbitration system … were almost always safe in past years waiting until late-May or early-June before promoting top prospects. Now, though, that cut-off date will be pushed ahead, perhaps several weeks. Which means GMs are probably going to have to wait until early-to-late June if they want to ensure their top prospects don’t qualify as Super Twos.
I suppose everyone will live Harper makes the bigs in June instead of May. Somehow.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (96)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)