Nov 23, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Molina would back up John Jaso, essentially replacing fellow right-handed-hitting free agent Kelly Shoppach. Molina lacks Shoppach’s power and ability to knock around left-handed pitching, but he remains a big asset defensively at age 36.
Molina started 48 games for the Blue Jays this year, earning $1.2 million, and Smith speculates that he’ll get a one-year deal for similar money from the Rays. Tampa Bay previously declined a $3.2 million option on Shoppach to make him a free agent.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 14
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 31
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (112)