Muppets-as-ballplayers? Yes, Muppets-as-ballplayers

Nov 23, 2011, 10:29 AM EST

Scooter

It’s 10:30 and I can already tell it’s going to be one of those days.  Stick around until this afternoon and I might upload a video of me singing the national anthem or something.

Anyway: Larry Granillo cast various Muppets as their ballplayer counterparts. Derek Jeter as Kermit.  A-Rod as Miss Piggy.  You get the idea.

In other news: I’m way more excited to see the new Muppet movie than either of my kids. Don’t judge me.

1. southpaw2k - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Craig, I am just as excited to see the Muppets this weekend as you are. I don’t have any kids, but I am strongly considering taking a date to see the movie after starting Christmas shopping. No hate here.

2. acheron2112 - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM

Lew Zealand is either Tim Wakefield or Mariano Rivera: known for throwing just one thing over and over. Depends on whether you consider a knuckleball or cutter as closer to a boomerang fish.

3. bleedgreen - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Yup, we don’t put a star or an angel on top of our tree. We put a Kermit hand puppet. Seriously.

4. bozosforall - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:08 AM

Lame

5. sdelmonte - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:43 AM

The kid in me wants to see The Muppets, but I suspect it’s all nostalgia and will not resonate one whit with today’s kids (unless their parents have been buying the Muppet DVDs).

The adult in me thinks that Hugo will be amazing, but that it’s going to be over the heads of a lot of kids. Sort of a Prof. Frink “I enjoy this on more levels than you” thing.

And the film kids will actually like the most is Arthur Christmas, because Ardman makes really good kids’ films that everyone enjoys.

And yes, this has nothing to do with baseball, but there are no baseball movies coming out now.

6. cur68 - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Adam Dunn can = Sweetums

7. qcubed3 - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM

A-rod as Ms. Piggy, no.

John Kruk as Ms. Piggy, yes!

• Old Gator - Nov 24, 2011 at 8:07 AM

Scrooge McLoria as Ms. Piggy. he’s already Mister Piggy.

8. rickset - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:41 PM

qcubed3 I disagree

C.C. Sabathia = Ms. Piggy

9. meteor32 - Nov 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM

I think Prince Fielder is a better fit for Rowlph. I also don’t think that Brian Wilson is a good fit for Fozzie. Where Fozzie quirks are lovable, Brian Wilson’s make terrible taco bell commercials. He reminds me more of Animal.

Also, I think Carlos Zambrano’s multiple explosions make him the perfect match for Crazy Harry.

Anyway, I’m ready for the most inspirational, celebrational, muppetational movie since they introduced the Wild Card!

10. Old Gator - Nov 24, 2011 at 8:10 AM

Prince Fielder would probably be great as Cookie Monster.

Anyway, the economics of this gambit interest me. Do the Muppets need to be hard slotted? Will their signing bonuses be capped under the new CBA?

And, really, think about it – Bugs Bunny, who played during the dead-pencil era before the advent of computer animation – what would he be worth now? It would make Albert Pujols’ forthcoming contract look like day wages and found at Burger King.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester