Must-click link: An insanely extended interview with Pete Rose

Nov 23, 2011, 3:10 PM EDT

Pete Rose AP

Yahoo!’s Dave Brown took his Answer Man alter ego to Vegas and he talked with Pete Rose … forever.  It was a great interview, though.  Topics ranging from Game 6 of the 2011 World Series vs. Game 6 of the 1975 World Series, gambling, his bannination from baseball and, of course, Milk Duds.

Just read it.

Oh, and this is fun:

PR: Well, we didn’t look at greenies as greenies. Greenies were nothing more than diet pills. They’d curb your appetite. Greenies is false hope. Amphetamines. They don’t help you hit the ball any further or harder. They don’t help you do anything.

DB: Wake you up?

PR: Well, it’s like this (Rose holds up a cup of coffee). Caffeine. That’s all it is.

Take that … um, whoever feels like arguing about Pete Rose and drugs all at once. Because that won’t even create any discussion, will it?

1. philsieg - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:18 PM

“I didn’t know that side of Bernie. I didn’t know anybody in my era who played high. If they did, I didn’t know it.”

Yeah, right Pete. Jeez, it was the era of Flower Power and Timothy Leary. I used to watch high. Can you say “Dock Ellis”. Pete?

2. cup0pizza - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Narcissistic scumbag. Actually, that makes him quite similar to many regular commenters here, so I’m sure this tool is loved here.

• cur68 - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Have a nice safe thanksgiving there, ‘0pizza. Keep your head down, don’t gobble too much and stay away from the humans and you might make thru till friday.
      c68
      PS. I hope you remembered to top up your gizzard at night, because you do not wanna be gettin’ close to any gravel roads in the daylight this time of year.

• Old Gator - Nov 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Yeah, dimwitted lowlife that you are, why not spend the evening counting your many and varied accomplishments and then comparing them favorably to Pete Rose’s accomplishments? How can you fail to come out ahead?

3. dlevalley - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Man, I love Pete Rose. Flawed, yes. Incredibly so.

But man, that guy is one entertaining human being. If only there were more people in the world willing to lay their opinions and views of the world on the line.

Also, he sure is honest. Now at least.

4. Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2011 at 4:19 PM

That picture….. Every time I see that picture of Pete, I picture him as a character out of George Orwell’s “Animal Farm”. It’s disturbing actually, I hear his squealing.

5. crankyfrankie - Nov 23, 2011 at 7:32 PM

I feel bad for him. He loves baseball so much and will never , in his lifetime, get in the Hall or back into baseball. I remember watching him as a kid, he always looked like he loved it out there. I wish him well.

Three legends off to Cooperstown