Occupy Yankee Stadium! The Yankees raise the price of bleacher seats

Nov 23, 2011, 12:05 PM EDT

Image (1) yankee%20stadium.jpg for post 4012

The Yankees have either kept prices level or even lowered some prices on tickets for 2012, but the bleacher seats are another story:

New York said Tuesday the price of bleacher seats will be $20 and $12 next year, up from $15 and $5. “The $5 bleacher seats sold for about six times face value and were bought up by ticket brokers,” chief operating officer Lonn Trost said. “The folks that really wanted it for affordability couldn’t get it.”

This will no doubt rankle some folks. The Occupy Yankee Stadium people are probably going to mobilize now due to the little guys having his prices raised.  If that happens, let’s not let any supply/demand nonsense enter into the discussion, because I think (seating) class warfare at a ballpark might be pretty entertaining.

1. yankeesfanlen - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:11 PM

It is truly amazing that you can get into Yankee Stadium for only $20. but your car cannot park five blocks away for $30.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Oh, and another thing – I’d rather Occupy Yankee Stadium (in season anyway) than any other place in the tri-state.

• cur68 - Nov 23, 2011 at 1:11 PM

I always thought you lived there, Len. You mean to tell me that your HQ isn’t buried under the bleachers?

• sdelmonte - Nov 23, 2011 at 1:16 PM

The subway is still cheaper.

I don’t drive, and I think anyone who lives in a city with good mass transit and terrible roads and high parking fees shouldn’t, either.

2. jstrickhart - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:26 PM

I would first like to say I am, and have always been, a huge Yankees fan. I have owned a 16 game Sunday package for years now (in the bleachers) and am VERY mad about this increase. My tickets two years ago were $360, went up to $475 last year, and now are $665. Every year I try to upgrade my seat location within the bleachers (I have been stuck in row 21) and get denied. I only sell my tickets when I or my friends absolutely cannot attend a game. I don’t understand this increase and have never been so unsure about renewing my tickets.

Let’s not even talk about parking. It’s at least $35 to park for a regular game. Postseason games are another beast, and cost around $50.

• jam1115 - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:56 PM

I called to inquire why the prices went up so much, spent 1 hour 22 minutes on hold and then got disconnected. RIDICULOUS

• yournuts - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:10 PM

Why don’t you take a train to the game or park somewhere else? 16 games for $665. isn’t to bad. I pay $480 for 10 games at AT&T park in San Francisco and the parking is $20.00 each time. At least you see the Yankees, I’m stuck seeing pitching duels and a team that can’t hit.

3. evanhartford - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM

I don’t enjoy going to Yankee games anymore. The traffic and travel make it a day-long event. The total cost (when you factor in the value of your time) is about half the cost of a Caribbean vacation and the overall experience isn’t much better than watching the game on HD in my living room (I don’t have to wait in line for the bathroom and I can pause the game when I’m making my nachos).

I saw the New Britain Rockcats recently (New Brtain CT minor league squad). I paid $5 for my ticket and sat in the lower level about 30 feet from the field. I paid $3.50 for a beer and $2 for a hot dog. Parking was free and I got a free ticket to an upcoming game because the parking attendant saw that I had my seatbelt on. The game was great to watch and my son had a great time because they had mascots doing cartwheels in between every inning. Way better than most Yankee games I’ve attended.

• thefalcon123 - Nov 23, 2011 at 1:06 PM

My employer purchases season tickets, so I get to go to a few games a year for free [ (field level just north of the 1st base dugout! I got to see Cliff Lee’s 13 strikeout domination of the Yanks last year in playoffs). Last time, I met my wife after work and we go to go into the stadium….and we turned around at the bag search. Why? Because my wife had an IPad in her backpack and such items are not allowed in the stadium. Apparently there is a fear of…what…liveblogging? When we asked what the hell we were supposed to do (it would be a 45 minute subway ride home from there), the security guy shrugged his shoulders and proceeded to ignore us. We ended up giving our tickets to an older couple waiting in line to by some (though it took a bit of work to convince them we weren’t fucking with them).

Needless to say, that’s my last trip to Yankee Stadium. Bunch of jerkoffs. How they’ll get by without that $15 I spend a year on Coke Zero is beyond me…

4. footballisking - Nov 23, 2011 at 2:08 PM

”The $5 bleacher seats sold for about six times face value and were bought up by ticket brokers…. “The folks that really wanted it for affordability couldn’t get it.”

The people that wanted it couldnt afford it…so we had to do the only logical thing which is, raise prices….Dont blame ticket brokers for your greed!!!!

• Kevin S. - Nov 23, 2011 at 2:11 PM

The Yankees provide all of the value, yet the ticket brokers are siphoning off some of the profits simply because they got to the tickets first. Given the choice between a ticket costing $30 on the secondary market with the broker taking a large cut and a ticket costing $30 from the Yankees, I’d rather the latter situation.

5. bigharold - Nov 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Why not just make bleacher seats available only on the day of the game. Limit the number you can buy to two or one for every individual at the ticket booth and problem solved.

Frankly, even at 12-20 per game that’s not bad. If you ignore the $35 parking, $5 sodas and $10 beers and such.

• Kevin S. - Nov 23, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Take the subway, bring your own sandwiches and water. Yankee Stadium is the only place I won’t get a beer at the game.

6. romoscollarbone - Nov 25, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Yankee season ticket holder for 6 yrs. parking is $19 in the Yankees parking garages. The random private owned lots are $35. The subway is $2.50. You can park on the street about 10 blocks away and hop on the 4 train.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5049)