Nov 23, 2011, 6:17 AM EST
Joe Torre has a job: he’s the guy who has to deliver bad news for MLB, fine people and offer rather incoherent defenses of the league’s current instant replay policy. It’s a full time gig.
But is there something else in his future? Like, say … becoming part owner and potential president/figurehead of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
“I’m not part of any group,” he said by telephone Tuesday afternoon. “But I’ll tell you there’ve been a number of people who’ve reached out and inquired, but I’ve made no alliance, no commitment, as of this minute.” Could his situation change in a month? “Who knows?” he said. “It’s certainly something you’d have an interest in.”
Among the potential ownership groups who have approached Torre is the one led by real estate developer Rick Caruso. But there are a ton of people who are interested in bidding on the Dodgers and you have to think a lot of them would love to be able to have a current front office employee/future Hall of Fame manager at the top of their term sheet. Or maybe the terms go at the top and the names at the bottom. Confession: I have never seen a term sheet before and I have no idea what they look like.
Anyway, it would be weird to see Torre playing the role of baseball owner, even if he would merely be the face of a well-moneyed bid.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)