Nov 23, 2011, 6:17 AM EDT
Joe Torre has a job: he’s the guy who has to deliver bad news for MLB, fine people and offer rather incoherent defenses of the league’s current instant replay policy. It’s a full time gig.
But is there something else in his future? Like, say … becoming part owner and potential president/figurehead of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
“I’m not part of any group,” he said by telephone Tuesday afternoon. “But I’ll tell you there’ve been a number of people who’ve reached out and inquired, but I’ve made no alliance, no commitment, as of this minute.” Could his situation change in a month? “Who knows?” he said. “It’s certainly something you’d have an interest in.”
Among the potential ownership groups who have approached Torre is the one led by real estate developer Rick Caruso. But there are a ton of people who are interested in bidding on the Dodgers and you have to think a lot of them would love to be able to have a current front office employee/future Hall of Fame manager at the top of their term sheet. Or maybe the terms go at the top and the names at the bottom. Confession: I have never seen a term sheet before and I have no idea what they look like.
Anyway, it would be weird to see Torre playing the role of baseball owner, even if he would merely be the face of a well-moneyed bid.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)