Nov 23, 2011, 6:17 AM EDT
Joe Torre has a job: he’s the guy who has to deliver bad news for MLB, fine people and offer rather incoherent defenses of the league’s current instant replay policy. It’s a full time gig.
But is there something else in his future? Like, say … becoming part owner and potential president/figurehead of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
“I’m not part of any group,” he said by telephone Tuesday afternoon. “But I’ll tell you there’ve been a number of people who’ve reached out and inquired, but I’ve made no alliance, no commitment, as of this minute.” Could his situation change in a month? “Who knows?” he said. “It’s certainly something you’d have an interest in.”
Among the potential ownership groups who have approached Torre is the one led by real estate developer Rick Caruso. But there are a ton of people who are interested in bidding on the Dodgers and you have to think a lot of them would love to be able to have a current front office employee/future Hall of Fame manager at the top of their term sheet. Or maybe the terms go at the top and the names at the bottom. Confession: I have never seen a term sheet before and I have no idea what they look like.
Anyway, it would be weird to see Torre playing the role of baseball owner, even if he would merely be the face of a well-moneyed bid.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)