Nov 23, 2011, 6:17 AM EDT
Joe Torre has a job: he’s the guy who has to deliver bad news for MLB, fine people and offer rather incoherent defenses of the league’s current instant replay policy. It’s a full time gig.
But is there something else in his future? Like, say … becoming part owner and potential president/figurehead of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
“I’m not part of any group,” he said by telephone Tuesday afternoon. “But I’ll tell you there’ve been a number of people who’ve reached out and inquired, but I’ve made no alliance, no commitment, as of this minute.” Could his situation change in a month? “Who knows?” he said. “It’s certainly something you’d have an interest in.”
Among the potential ownership groups who have approached Torre is the one led by real estate developer Rick Caruso. But there are a ton of people who are interested in bidding on the Dodgers and you have to think a lot of them would love to be able to have a current front office employee/future Hall of Fame manager at the top of their term sheet. Or maybe the terms go at the top and the names at the bottom. Confession: I have never seen a term sheet before and I have no idea what they look like.
Anyway, it would be weird to see Torre playing the role of baseball owner, even if he would merely be the face of a well-moneyed bid.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 8
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 160
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (160)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)