Nov 23, 2011, 11:58 PM EDT
The Yankees don’t appear to be any closer to adding the No. 2 starter they desire, but they are set to bring back Freddy Garcia on a one-year deal, David Waldstein of the New York Times reports.
Garcia took a modest $1.5 million guarantee from the Bombers before going 12-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 146 2/3 innings last season. He struggled some coming down the stretch and took a loss in his lone postseason start against the Tigers, but the Yankees were quick to express interest in re-signing him.
With Garcia returning to a rotation also set to include CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova and probably A.J. Burnett, it’s doubtful the Yankees will re-sign Bartolo Colon. If they can add Yu Darvish, C.J. Wilson or a quality starter in a trade, then that could leave Phil Hughes out of the mix initially.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)