Report: Yankees, Freddy Garcia nearing one-year deal

Nov 23, 2011, 11:58 PM EST

Freddy Garcia AP

The Yankees don’t appear to be any closer to adding the No. 2 starter they desire, but they are set to bring back Freddy Garcia on a one-year deal, David Waldstein of the New York Times reports.

Garcia took a modest $1.5 million guarantee from the Bombers before going 12-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 146 2/3 innings last season. He struggled some coming down the stretch and took a loss in his lone postseason start against the Tigers, but the Yankees were quick to express interest in re-signing him.

With Garcia returning to a rotation also set to include CC Sabathia, Ivan Nova and probably A.J. Burnett, it’s doubtful the Yankees will re-sign Bartolo Colon. If they can add Yu Darvish, C.J. Wilson or a quality starter in a trade, then that could leave Phil Hughes out of the mix initially.

1. Kevin S. - Nov 24, 2011 at 12:26 AM

I’m fine with this. There’s no such thing as a one-year deal, and I doubt this stops Cashman from landing a higher-caliber starter should one become available.

• pisano - Nov 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM

I hope you’re right, because they were lucky with what they got out of Garcia and Colon last year, but I certainly wouldn’t push my luck again. Garcia would be ok as a No.5 starter, but the Yankees need a dominant No.2 and hope Hughes and Nova perform and also hope they can trade A.J. supposedly a few teams have inquired about him, I only hope it’s true.

• uyf1950 - Nov 24, 2011 at 7:56 AM

Kevin S and Pisano, my friends. First off Happy Thanksgiving.

I have to say I’m a little disappointed if the piece is true. Granted Garcia performed very well last season. I just think think this year Cashman needed to do something else. The Yankees need another left hander in the starting rotation for a #4 or #5 and it would have seemed to me that there were options that being the case that the Yankees could have and in my opinion gone after.

I know many Yankees fans will say the Yankees did very well with the rotation last year they won 97 games and could have probably won more more if the Yankees basically didn’t take the last week of the regular season off to rest some of their regulars. But I would be lying if I didn’t say that a 2012 starting rotation of: CC, Nova, AJ, Hughes and Garcia doesn’t instill a lot of confidence in me right now.

If the intent of this potential signing with Garcia is to give one of the young arms namely Banuelos a shot come summer or at the trade deadline then so be it. But I really think the Yankees could have accomplished the same thing by giving Noesi, Mitchell or Phelps a shot at the rotation during spring training rather then signing Garcia. I still think the Yankees need a very solid #2 to start the 2012 season. I guess we will just have to wait and see how this all shakes out.

• baseballisboring - Nov 24, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Why do they need another lefty? If you’re a starter you need to get people out from both sides of the plate so the handed-ness of the rotation doesn’t matter. Garcia will be cheap, you kinda know what you’re getting at least in terms of performance, and it’s definitely not gonna keep them from going after a #2.

2. yankeesgameday - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:47 AM

This is fine based on what he did this year. It’s a marathon and theYanks need all the arms they can trust. Let’s just hope we arent stuck with a back three of Hughes, burnett and Garcia because we’ll be subjected to another 95 win season where they com the division and then use on the ALDS yet again.

This team has the offense they just need one more top flight pitcher to get over the hump.

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 24, 2011 at 8:10 AM

gameday – I don’t know exactly how to break this to you but the Yankees don’t start out the season guaranteed they’ll win 95 games.

• lardin - Nov 24, 2011 at 9:57 AM

The Yankees didnt lose in the playoffs because of their pitching! They lost because no one could get a big hit with two outs. Yes A-rod, I am looking at you….

• uyf1950 - Nov 24, 2011 at 10:22 AM

lardin, my friend. In all fairness A-Rod wasn’t the only one who didn’t come through in the clutch especially in game 5 of the ALDS. I think it’s a little unfair to single out A-Rod when Tex, Swisher and even of couple of the other Yankee regulars left men of base in critical situations even in the other games.

• lardin - Nov 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM

uyf1950, you are correct, But All A-rod need was a sac fly. Tex and Swisher are also to be blamed.

• yankeesfanlen - Nov 24, 2011 at 10:37 AM

…..And Leave ARod Alone!

• purnellmeagrejr - Nov 24, 2011 at 12:03 PM

They lost because they’re just not that good. Unless they figure a way to get better pitchers and younger players I think we’re looking at the beginning of the downward spiral.

• uyf1950 - Nov 24, 2011 at 1:58 PM

purnell…, they lost because on that given week the Tigers were just a little better. Let’s not forget that the Tigers fielded a very good team in 2011 and only finished with 2 less wins during the regular season schedule. The Tigers also had a pitcher that won both the Cy Young and AL-MVP and Miguel Cabrera who finished 5th in the MVP voting. Give credit where credit is due.

• yankeesgameday - Nov 24, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Sorry, but all of you are way off. Outside of 3 other teams the AL is full of below average teams that lack pitching and offensive talent and the Yanks are incredibly deep. And yeah, that starting point does guarantee around 95 wins.

They are built to win a marathon over six months and so adding Garcia Is fine because he will eat up innings and you know he can keep things close. Over six months the Yanks are built to pull away, which worked for them again this year.

But in the playoffs you have to win close low scoring games against the best pitchers in the league. The Yanks are not built to sprint over twelve games because they dont couple their offense with a shut down rotation.

Relying too much on the home run is something I screamed about all year even when people were saying how great it was etc. But to win the series you need pitching.

But first you have to get there. And signing Garcia is just one little piece to help them out for the marathon. They still need someone else for the sprint.

• baseballisboring - Nov 24, 2011 at 6:44 PM

95 wins is never guaranteed to anyone. I mean, it wasn’t that long ago (2008) that the Yankees missed the playoffs. If CC blows his arm out this year they don’t even approach that. And they’re not “incredibly deep”, they have a great offense and they got a few lucky pitching performances this year.

3. protius - Nov 24, 2011 at 5:47 AM

gameday, you lost me after “95 win season”, the rest of that sentence doesn’t make any sense.

• baseballisboring - Nov 24, 2011 at 6:51 PM

Yeah, gotta love the word choice there. It’s like the rich kid being ‘subjected’ to public school.

4. fredverd - Nov 24, 2011 at 7:47 AM

CC is number one…Nova is second…”somebody” (Read: Burnett? Hughes? YD? CJW? MB? Betances?) is number three…OJT time for lefty ManBan @number four (Why not? Time for him and the bullpen [if necessary] to step up!)…and “Smoke and Mirrors” Garcia are the starters. The offense will carry them because even last year’s “off” players won’t be as bad as they were last year.

5. uyf1950 - Nov 24, 2011 at 10:30 AM

I wonder if there are any specifics on what the Yankees might be offering Garcia. My guess is after the incentives last season he made about $5MM total. I would suspect the offer would have to guarantee that much and maybe have a team option for the 2nd year with a buyout if the Yankees don’t exercise it. Purely a guess.

• pisano - Nov 24, 2011 at 12:45 PM

Right on again my friend. 5mil, just signed.

• uyf1950 - Nov 24, 2011 at 12:48 PM

Thank you. I just the saw the details.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5004)