Nov 23, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Most people are either already travelling or pretending to work today or something, so I can be forgiven for a personal post, right? Of course I can.
I got an unexpected package today from an old friend. In it was this baby: a vintage cast iron mechanical baseball bank:
Yes, I see the ump’s right arm is missing. I think it makes it even better. This thing was loved/abused by some kid or perhaps many kids over the decades. It didn’t sit on some collector’s shelf. There’s love in this thing.
On the bottom, my friend taped a note:
This is the only thing you can control in life.
Gettin’ a little dusty in here. Thanks, dude.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)