Thanks, dude

Nov 23, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT

Most people are either already travelling or pretending to work today or something, so I can be forgiven for a personal post, right?  Of course I can.

I got an unexpected package today from an old friend.  In it was this baby: a vintage cast iron mechanical baseball bank:

source:

Yes, I see the ump’s right arm is missing. I think it makes it even better. This thing was loved/abused by some kid or perhaps many kids over the decades. It didn’t sit on some collector’s shelf. There’s love in this thing.

On the bottom, my friend taped a note:

To Craig,

This is the only thing you can control in life.

Your pal,

Todd.

Gettin’ a little dusty in here.  Thanks, dude.

1. shaggylocks - Nov 23, 2011 at 9:50 AM

Sweet bank, Flapjack! My grandpa used to have one very similar to that on his desk, and as a kid I was never allowed to touch or play with it, even though it looked like a fun toy. It was his and his alone, and it was special to him to the point that he always kept it in sight and made sure little clumsy hands couldn’t hurt it. I haven’t thought about that bank in years. I guess I’ll have something to ask about and track down when I see my family tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, Craig.

2. bigxrob - Nov 23, 2011 at 9:52 AM

Looks like the ump is calling him safe, the guy was clearly out.

• bobwsc - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:07 AM

maybe it’s Frank Drebbin impersonating Enrico Palazzo impersonating an ump.

• Detroit Michael - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM

That wouldn’t happen if baseball expanded its use of instant replay. I blame Bud Selig for the blown call.

• CJ - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

So does that make the ump Hernandez or West?

• Nick C - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM

Only according to Jerry Meals.

• cur68 - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Not only out, but check out the catcher: he’s giving him a lane, not blocking the plate. Now that’s they way you’re supposed to do it if you want to play for the rest of the game. Runner, too is avoiding trucking the catcher and making a bid to score by going for the lane. Cool man. Real cool.

3. lembeck4 - Nov 23, 2011 at 9:55 AM

Oddly enough, that bank seems just the right size to hold the new draft allotment for a winning MLB team next year.

4. MrWorkrate - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM

This is obviously Calcaterra’s endorsement of robot umps.

5. paperlions - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:28 AM

This bank is cast iron evidence (which is better than concrete evidence) that playing the game the right way does not involve running over the catcher or the catcher blocking the plate when he doesn’t have the ball.

• cur68 - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:52 AM

Dang! Beat me too it…..

6. Charles Gates - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:31 AM

If there are numbers on the back of the players’ uniforms, by next week I expect lar of wezen-ball to have a rundown of possible games where this scene originated.

7. Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Super awesome….

I love how the Ump really has no way of seeing anything going on with that executioner type face mask. Satire was alive and well back then….

• paperlions - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM

Wait a second, is the ump a cyclops?

• shaggylocks - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I’m pretty sure that’s a leather S&M mask…

• Jonny 5 - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:21 AM

It’s the GIMP!!!!!

8. dasher521 - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Nice post, Craig! Happy Thanksgiving! (From a Phillies fan who is about to leave and have lunch with one of his oldest friends, from Atlanta, a Braves fan.)

• Gobias Industries - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:48 AM

It’s the Pilgrims and the Indians all over again.

9. phukyouk - Nov 23, 2011 at 10:57 AM

That game ended on a blow safe call at home.. after the game there was an interview with the 3rd base Ump in which he said ” it wasnt me… it was the one armed man i tell you”

10. kalarson - Nov 23, 2011 at 11:46 AM

I had this exact same bank when I was a little kid. I have no idea where it is now.

11. Kevin S. - Nov 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM

I’m pretty sure this is the first post I’ve ever gone through and +1’d every comment. Well done, guys.

• atlsp - Nov 23, 2011 at 2:51 PM

Agreed. With the ratio of thumbs up/down here this has to be the most positive post in HBT history (non-Brian Stow category)!

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3092)