Nov 23, 2011, 9:45 AM EST
Most people are either already travelling or pretending to work today or something, so I can be forgiven for a personal post, right? Of course I can.
I got an unexpected package today from an old friend. In it was this baby: a vintage cast iron mechanical baseball bank:
Yes, I see the ump’s right arm is missing. I think it makes it even better. This thing was loved/abused by some kid or perhaps many kids over the decades. It didn’t sit on some collector’s shelf. There’s love in this thing.
On the bottom, my friend taped a note:
This is the only thing you can control in life.
Gettin’ a little dusty in here. Thanks, dude.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)