Nov 23, 2011, 9:45 AM EST
Most people are either already travelling or pretending to work today or something, so I can be forgiven for a personal post, right? Of course I can.
I got an unexpected package today from an old friend. In it was this baby: a vintage cast iron mechanical baseball bank:
Yes, I see the ump’s right arm is missing. I think it makes it even better. This thing was loved/abused by some kid or perhaps many kids over the decades. It didn’t sit on some collector’s shelf. There’s love in this thing.
On the bottom, my friend taped a note:
This is the only thing you can control in life.
Gettin’ a little dusty in here. Thanks, dude.
- Mark Prior is retiring, will take a job with the Padres 0
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)