Nov 23, 2011, 9:45 AM EDT
Most people are either already travelling or pretending to work today or something, so I can be forgiven for a personal post, right? Of course I can.
I got an unexpected package today from an old friend. In it was this baby: a vintage cast iron mechanical baseball bank:
Yes, I see the ump’s right arm is missing. I think it makes it even better. This thing was loved/abused by some kid or perhaps many kids over the decades. It didn’t sit on some collector’s shelf. There’s love in this thing.
On the bottom, my friend taped a note:
This is the only thing you can control in life.
Gettin’ a little dusty in here. Thanks, dude.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (185)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)