Nov 23, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Wilson Ramos was in the Aragua Tigers’ lineup last night, returning to Venezuelan winter ball action 13 days after being kidnapped at gunpoint and rescued by police 51 hours later.
Ramos went 0-for-5 as the Tigers’ designated hitter and cleanup man.
Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said last week that he supported Ramos’ decision to remain in Venezuela and continue playing winter ball, but Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post reports that the 24-year-old catcher returned to the United States in the meantime to be examined by team doctors.
Ramos was also expected to meet with a specialist for traumatic incidents and according to Kilgore there was extra security in place last night. At no point has Ramos expressed fear of being involved in another abduction, which makes him a whole lot braver than me.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)