Happy Thanksgiving HBT Nation/Universe

Nov 24, 2011, 1:28 PM EDT

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving may be the most unbaseball holiday.

It’s far enough removed from last season to where the taste has left our mouths, still too far from the next season for our appetites to be rewarded. It’s usually cold, often gray. Someone always has a football game on.

It’s probably still my favorite holiday, though.  Yes, there’s a lot of karma to it. The amount of attention paid to food in a world that wants is troubling if you think about it. Then I got Old Gator sending me emails telling me to have a Happy Native American Memorial Day. But forget him, I like stuffing.  And of course pie.

The thought behind Thanksgiving — or at least the thought I think we’re supposed to have — is what I like the most. It’s become a bit of a cliche for people to say what they “give thanks” for, making lists and all of that, but in a year full of holidays that celebrate either materialism or an unsettlingly-imposed orthodoxy of sentiment, there’s a simple warmth to it.

I’m thankful for all of you people coming by the blog every day. It keeps Aaron, Drew, D.J., Matthew and me off the streets, of course. But it’s also a validation that our weird obsessions aren’t too terribly singular.  It’s nice to share a virtual conversation with all of you people every day.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

1. cowboysoldiertx - Nov 24, 2011 at 1:38 PM

Happy Thanksgiving! Cowboy it up buddy!

2. cur68 - Nov 24, 2011 at 1:43 PM

I’ve always kind of wondered about this American version of TG. Bit close to Christmas, isn’t it? Don’t you wind up suffering from turkey overlap?

Well, whatever. Have a safe and over fed TG, y’all. I shall be celebrating November 24 by editing 40 pages of manuscript. Trade ya.

• cowboysoldiertx - Nov 24, 2011 at 1:47 PM

That sucks bro!

• Old Gator - Nov 24, 2011 at 11:04 PM

Forty pages? Meh. Try grading 30 fifteen page term papers, half of them written by football scholarships, over a long weekend.

We go goose for Christmas. It’s an annual ritual. Compared to roasting a goose properly, the turkey is just a dry run. So think of it as….practice.

As far as Native American Extermination Day, after watching them flews-deep in the leftovers, the dogs got the best of it. And they didn’t have to help clean up, either.

• cur68 - Nov 25, 2011 at 12:21 AM

Yeah, correcting student work is the pits. Especially when you deal with the deliberately ignorant. I’ve done my time with student work. Mind you, having your own work ‘corrected’ by the ignorant is equally appalling. My edits revolve around committee corrections with 4 different sets of standards being applied. No matter what, someone’s gonna be mad at me.

• Old Gator - Nov 25, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Been there, had that done to me. You, like I did, will survive. What’s most gratifying about the process is that moment of revelation when you say to yourself, hey, if that idiot made it through this professional purgatory, I sure as hell will. And really, this is the best time of the year to think this stuff over. The American Thanksgiving is a great time of year to sit back and be bitter and bilious about all the assorted poltroons, smellsmocks, runagates, lobcocks, slugs, swine, sots and archsots who’ve used you as a chew toy during the course of your life. A time to grit your teeth in impotent rage, and bite down harder on your turkey out of sheer spite without cracking your enamel. A time to leave yourself aswill in an excess of tryptophan and fray your telomeres.

Come on down! We’ve got plenty of leftovers….

3. badmamainphilliesjamas - Nov 24, 2011 at 2:22 PM

I’m thankful for baseball . . . thanks for making it a little more interesting.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all!

4. hopespringseternal - Nov 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I’m thankful for HBT. And I’m looking forward to being thankful for Theo.

5. Kyle - Nov 24, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Cheers everyone.

6. frankvzappa - Nov 24, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Happy Thanksgiving fackers…im giving thanks for my first day off in weeks, and you all should be giving thanks because the more i work, the less i post!…Go Bruins!

7. IdahoMariner - Nov 24, 2011 at 2:59 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, Craig!
    I am thankful for this blog, too — a reasonably thoughtful, reasonably civil place to talk about our shared obsession. I haven’t been active, because the last few months have been filled with a lot of transition and stress, but it’s been reassuring and comforting to be able to check in here and get my shot of baseball with some humor and humanity. helps keep me human, too. thanks!

• cur68 - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:09 PM

Glad to see you’re still kicking ‘mariner. Was getting a bit worried about you, counselor. Cheers.

• IdahoMariner - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM

thanks! glad to still be kicking. :) Cheers to you, too. And good luck with that manuscript.

8. schmedley69 - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:17 PM

I am thankful for my Phillies being atop the baseball world. It wouldn’t be possible without all of the little teams and their fans. Without you guys, we would have no one to look down upon from our lofty perch.

Just kidding (kind of). Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

9. yankeesfanlen - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

What is it with today’s Tigers/Brewers game? Everyone running around with funny hats on all the time!

Happy Thanksgiving.

• jimbo1949 - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM

Yeah, and they let the LOOGY and the DH play all the time :-;

10. doggy4j - Nov 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Happy Thanksgiving,
    I read you every day sometimes several times. I love to read more in the off season waiting for the yanks and mets to make deals and sign those free agents. Keep up the work, I’d be lost without you

11. 4d3fect - Nov 24, 2011 at 5:34 PM

Happy thanksgiving all, hope you enjoy. Found a hysterical TGD horror story I’ll attempt to share.

I grew up in a sparsely populated part of Massachusetts and my family wasn’t really big on Thanksgiving (tell you the truth, I had never even heard about it), but one year these holy roller types moved in next to us. As it turns out, while they were well equipped to debate the merits of religious freedom and ramble on endlessly about what assholes their old neighbors were, they weren’t so hot at making a living. In fact, these broke-asses had like no food at all. Not wanting to see them starve, we brought them a bunch of venison, corn, fish, duck and squash and stuff. They were initially wary of our gesture (probably because of our brown skin), but eventually they came around and we ended up having a pretty nice feast that day.

If the story ended there, it would be great, but of course it doesn’t. More and more of these people moved to our area, and more and more we didn’t see eye to eye. At first a bunch of my family got sick from some weird diseases that we hadn’t seen before, and these guys being the egotistical pricks they were decided that our sickness was a sign their “god” wanted them to hold dominion over the land and we weren’t a part of that plan. Blah blah blah, wars, death, broken agreements…now they run the whole show and we don’t have shit. Never been a fan of Thanksgiving.

• JBerardi - Nov 24, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Oh…. I see what you did there.

“The first thanksgiving” is of course a complete fabrication and the “Pilgrims” where entirely loathsome people who fully intended to grab everything that the natives hadn’t nailed down (ie, everything) in the name of their perfect christian perfectness, and built a society in which they had the religious freedom to put people in the stocks for crimes such as “suspicion of exuberance”.

BUT! That’s no reason to not be a fan of thanksgiving! Those assholes didn’t invent thanksgiving! Dispute the myth surrounding it, it’s much more in keeping with the spirit of native harvest celebrations. Native peoples have been having those for as long as they’ve had harvests. Pilgrims weren’t allowed to celebrate, period. These people considered giggling and spicy food sinful. The natives, being not-the-most-repressed-people-ever, knew that this was the perfect time of the year to have a big eating-centric celebration. I happen to agree with them, and on that basis I’m a huge fan of Thanksgiving.

• 4d3fect - Nov 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Hope you manage to enjoy it somehow.

Seems unlikely considering your current frame of mind though.

• Old Gator - Nov 25, 2011 at 2:06 AM

I’ve cooked well and eaten well. Tomorrow, my neighbors get to throw me in the swimming pool. If I float, I’m dead meat. If I drown, I reap my reward at the bottom of the pool.

12. goawaydog - Nov 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Happy thanksgiving

13. bklynbaseball - Nov 24, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Happy Thanksgiving, all. Craig, see you in Dallas.

14. lewp - Nov 24, 2011 at 9:07 PM

I just want to say Happy Thanksgiving all..(or what’s left of it). I am pretty new here in these parts and I love the site. I feel like this site has the breaking news in baseball.

I’m a huge Ranger fan and dabble in some writing too, so I always enjoy talking baseball.

Anyways, before I start rambling due to my old age, I just say great job at this blog…and happy holidays everyone!

15. cup0pizza - Nov 24, 2011 at 9:36 PM

May you be blessed and surrounded by warmth and love during this holiday.

16. Glenn - Nov 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Thank you Craig and all for the best baseball blog. The taste of the last baseball season has not left this Boston fan’s mouth but there are worse things to worry about. Great coverage and insightful contributors are not taken for granted.

17. phillyphreak - Nov 24, 2011 at 9:59 PM

Happy thanksgiving to everyone. I know we’re all thankful for family and friends etc but a special thanks to all at HBT and what they do to drive our baseball obsession. T minus 12ish weeks until pitchers and catchers……

18. crankyfrankie - Nov 24, 2011 at 11:24 PM

I am thankful for this job and the job the writers and posters do to entertain and inform. Sometimes life is hard and depressing and I can come here and find a post or story to make me laugh or at least smile. Thanks, you do more good than you know.

19. Francisco (FC) - Nov 25, 2011 at 12:23 AM

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• Old Gator - Nov 25, 2011 at 3:33 PM

Same to you. It’s the best meal of the year, even without the capybara.

20. mgflolox - Nov 25, 2011 at 3:05 AM

Thank you Craig, for giving us a forum to engage/read always passionate and mostly thoughtful, intelligent and mature arguments/discussions about the greatest game ever invented.

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3328)