Nov 24, 2011, 10:23 AM EST
Sure enough, Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports exactly that, as Ibanez did the Phillies a favor and agreed ahead of time to decline an arbitration offer to basically just give them an extra draft pick.
Olney calls it “a wink/nod situation” and Ibanez isn’t the first player to do it. As a Type B free agent his status is unchanged by the arbitration offer, as any team signing him can still do so without forfeiting a draft pick. The only difference now is that the Phillies will get an extra supplemental round pick if/when he signs elsewhere.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 87
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)